Test Gardens and Air Tests are a waste of time

Test gardens and nail board test are flawed because they don't compare with targets we are searching for in the wild. In the wild nobody has the option of placing the trash where they want it in comparison to the targets.

Test gardens and nail board test are flawed because they don't compare with targets we are searching for in the wild. In the wild nobody has the option of placing the trash where they want it in comparison to the targets.

You are correct in that it is not an exact science. My feelings that it is a very good way to evaluate the detectors potential capabilities. You know that if it fails during this kind of task, then it probably will not perform up to standards in the field. Target locating is one thing but to do it in a natural environment where the soil conditions are not known is another. This is where the operator and his/hers capabilities are brought into play. This coupled with a capable detector should end up with very positive results.

ok, I searched this thread for the word "worthless" and found it five times. But it was never used in my original post. I said "air test were a waste of time".

Worthless means no value or worth. I did not say that.

But to clarify it even more, I should have said "they were a waste of my time".

Some in this thread have indicated there are too many real world, in the wild hunting variables whereas air test typically do not have as many variables.

Such as:

1) rarely do we take two detectors in the wild and run them both over the same un-dug target and compare. Calabash Digger often does that in his Youtube videos when a hunting buddy is using a different detector. And of course Calabash is not known for being bashful when it comes to pointing out a detector's flaws as he sees them. (if I were ever invited to hunt with someone, I would be more likely to accept with Calabash or Vferrari.). I would like to hunt with Tom_in_CA except for his outrageous 30% CA tax.

2) another variable is the ground mineralization and moisture content.
3) location of iron content in relation to the target.
4) experience of the detectorist when correctly analyzing the audio and display numbers.
5) depth and length of time a coin has been in the ground.
6) chemical content of the soil that affects ionizaton and can vary within a matter of a few feet.

There are just way too many variables in the wild compared with the fewer variables in an air test or test garden. Thus you learn more in the wild and rather than air testing, building and using test gardens or viewing youtube videos of air testing and test gardens.

Thus you are wasting time which could be used in hunting. This is why most old timers tell you that when you get a new machine (that you are trying to learn) you just put in 100 - 200 hours hunting with the machine and digging every target. I have seen this advice hundreds of posts on the various metal detecting forums. They don't say that when you get a new machine put in 100-200 hours with air test or test gardens.

I guess what I am trying to say, I have never really leaned anything from my own air tests or test garden (did build one) when compared to in the wild hunting with my 800. Hunting and digging all targets is where most of my real knowledge came from along with many informative post from experienced users who report actual facts learned from their hunts in the wild.

All my viewing of air test and test gardens videos and own personal air test and test garden construction were a waste of time FOR ME.

I totally agree 100%...i do have a test garden but it's merely for fun, just to play around with..Step into a yard or park and everything changes

Cmon... nobody's really going to put in a few hundred hours doing air tests lol... Yeah the real world hunts are where it's at. But there are exceptions. The one I learned the most on regarding the Nox is the air test video from Tony Eisenhower. Confirming that even with a discriminating detector , you need to dig everything. Air tests are just a short snippet of what your detector can do.

Back
Top Bottom