I Got Cheated Today

beephead

Elite Member
A hunting buddy called me up late yesterday and wanted to know if I would like to go and detect around a 1920 mansion size home located on 4 acres that's never seen a detector. It took me less than a spit second to say oh hell yeah.

We met up this morning and started our grid search of the large front yard area. We both right off found a couple of Mercury dimes. His was a 1917 and mine was a 1923. We both had a great time. The weather was so nice I ended up stripping down to my t-shirt.

One of my unusual finds was a National Rifleman's Association Marksman Pin. I didn't know that it was founded in New York City back in 1871. I guess back then NY City didn't have a thing against guns.

Another unusual find of mine was a massive sterling silver pocket watch face cover. I was super excited when I got my search coil over the target. I would have bet the farm that it was going to be a silver dollar. After I popped it out the ground and saw bright silver my heart got to pumping really fast. It took a few seconds to realize that it wasn't a silver dollar. Still a nice find though. I'm due some big silver, maybe even a Barber.

We're going back tomorrow to finish up the front yard. I bet we find more silver. There should be some Barber coins at that site.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 423
Looks like a dream spot worth hammering! Congrats on the nice finds so far. Hopefully we get to see another post in the near future showing off more goodies!

Congrats on a great day of hunting and the silver finds.. I hope that you both have another great day tomorrow..

Man Beep, you're definition of cheat is a little different than mine:lol: Those are some great finds, especially that pocket watch back!

Thanks Everyone! I'm sure that there's more silver at that site, we just need to get our search coils over some. Maybe even some gold, but you never know what the day might bring. I was hoping for a silver dollar but that silver watch case cover is pretty neat. Thank God for Aleve, because tomorrow will be my third straight day out detecting after that long layoff because of the snow, rain etc.

beephead

How did you get cheated?
Five silvers looks like a pretty awesome day to me!

I think if you rotate that watch case, it will show you a W and a G interwoven.
Perhaps the initials from a former homeowner?

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 321
Dang, your killing it there.

So I notice on most your coinshooting post here you have the XLT And it looks like you switched to the XP. Were the coins a by product of a relic hunt or just too many deep targets ?

Thanks Everyone! I'm sure that there's more silver at that site, we just need to get our search coils over some. Maybe even some gold, but you never know what the day might bring. I was hoping for a silver dollar but that silver watch case cover is pretty neat. Thank God for Aleve, because tomorrow will be my third straight day out detecting after that long layoff because of the snow, rain etc.

beephead
been wanting to do some dirt fishing but recovering from my neck surgery has me sidelined. Maybe after my Feb 5 Dr appt I can get rid of this cabin fever.. lol

Thanks Everyone! I went back to same site again today. I'm not quite sure how to title my finds thread today. Maybe, "I Got Cheated Again Today".

beephead

Back
Top Bottom