Unbelievable streak. Today my oldest coin.

Chipk

Elite Member
I have no idea what I’m doing right but I hope I keep doing it.

Yesterday I went back to my 1874 house and pulled a copper button from the early 1800s. Also a clad quarter, some musket balls and a couple of nice buckles.
Weather prevented me from hunting long. When I woke up this morning the sound of rain and thunder said I wouldn’t be hunting today.

Luckily the rain stopped.

Mid morning I stepped out and loaded the Jeep and headed to my newest permission. I found a large brass button, probably mid 1800s and then a hoe head from the same time period.

I was hoping to find an old coin. Maybe a silver.

Got a nice signal and pulled a thin nickel sized coin from about 8 inches down. Even though it was seemingly toasted I was able to easily read the date

WHAAAAAAA???????

I double and triple checked. Couldn’t make out much but I knew it wasn’t an American coin but that didn’t matter. This is my oldest coin surpassing my 1783 Georgis Triumpho.

Got home and decided to give it a light scrub. The dirt came off and suddenly there was a lot more detail. I decided to take a chance and I prepared an aluminum foil, baking soda, salt and boiling water bath. Repeated it twice and scrubbed with a toothbrush and behold.... a beautiful Spanish 4 Reale. My first Reale.

I love this hobby.

I have no idea what I’m doing right but I hope I keep doing it.

Yesterday I went back to my 1874 house and pulled a copper button from the early 1800s. Also a clad quarter, some musket balls and a couple of nice buckles.
Weather prevented me from hunting long. When I woke up this morning the sound of rain and thunder said I wouldn’t be hunting today.

Luckily the rain stopped.

Mid morning I stepped out and loaded the Jeep and headed to my newest permission. I found a large brass button, probably mid 1800s and then a hoe head from the same time period.

I was hoping to find an old coin. Maybe a silver.

Got a nice signal and pulled a thin nickel sized coin from about 8 inches down. Even though it was seemingly toasted I was able to easily read the date

WHAAAAAAA???????

I double and triple checked. Couldn’t make out much but I knew it wasn’t an American coin but that didn’t matter. This is my oldest coin surpassing my 1783 Georgis Triumpho.

Got home and decided to give it a light scrub. The dirt came off and suddenly there was a lot more detail. I decided to take a chance and I prepared an aluminum foil, baking soda, salt and boiling water bath. Repeated it twice and scrubbed with a toothbrush and behold.... a beautiful Spanish 4 Reale. My first Reale.

I love this hobby.

Congrats. Don't let the naysayers poo you. If you found it, that's awesome. :)

Ok don’t know what happened to the pictures. Let’s try again.

Attachments

• 5ACD263A-A37C-4DC0-A48D-0FD015C91FBB.jpg
    5ACD263A-A37C-4DC0-A48D-0FD015C91FBB.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 142
  • E7FBD80E-09B9-4B92-92A5-C97EF88561AE.jpg
    E7FBD80E-09B9-4B92-92A5-C97EF88561AE.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 144
  • CB7DB967-C353-4CA5-A054-5FDFA79C4722.jpg
    CB7DB967-C353-4CA5-A054-5FDFA79C4722.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom