There Wasn't Much Left To Find On the 2nd Go Around

beephead

Elite Member
I met up with my hunting buddy this morning at the same site that we hunted yesterday to see if we could find some more goodies. He found a Mercury dime and a Rosie. I kept working at it and finally unearthed a 1901 V nickel and 4 wheat pennies, but no silver. I decided to go back over the steep bank that I detected yesterday. Those steep banks aren't easy to detect, but I seem to always find some good finds on them.

Finally, I got a VDI #92 and a high pitched audio response on my MXT Pro. Oh, I just knew that I had a Barber Half under my search coil. I flipped over the plug and saw a large silver rim, but didn't know what it was. I yelled at my hunting buddy to come over see what I found. When I removed enough dirt, we saw it was a Walking Liberty and not a Barber Half. I got cheated again. LOL It's time for one.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 336
Man! Nice big Half! Thats some real old dirt though...looking at your junk shot...does not appear to have much dropped after the late 60's? Whatcha think?

I might agree with you mud, notice the hemweight?

Yeah! BT! Right? I have learned so much from studying Beeps junkshots! How to quickly evaluate a locations potential based on the junk, its depth and composition...if this place has ever been hunted etc...Based on the junk, a guy can then set up right, concentrate, and target specific signals accordingly.....Those junkshots are super important.....

Very nice walker!
Thanks! It always amazing me that someone lost something that big and shiny and I end up, by some miracle, finding it. Back in the day you could have bought 10 hand dipped ice cream cones with it.

Great hunt, big silver, you called it! Nice addition, congrats!
Thanks! I sometimes I scare myself. I'd better be careful what I wish for.

I'm gonna get cheated tomorrow! :laughing:
Congrats on the big silver!
Thanks! If it had turned out to be a Barber Half, I would have fainted.

Not a bad second outing at all. You've been killing it lately! Congrats on another awesome hunt!
Thanks! I haven't been able to go much, but when I have it has been productive.

Man! Nice big Half! Thats some real old dirt though...looking at your junk shot...does not appear to have much dropped after the late 60's? Whatcha think?
Thanks! I was doing a little cherry picking at first, but later on I switch into the relic mode and started digging everything above iron that sounded halfway decent. My hunting partner and I both agreed that the ground was a little funky. Both of us were getting a lot of broken target signals even on shallow 4 or 5 inch coins. He was using an E-trac and I was using several different detectors. I think that there was a lot of burnt trash and coal cinders thrown about the yard that was causing all trouble.

I might agree with you mud, notice the hemweight?
Good eye!

Yeah! BT! Right? I have learned so much from studying Beeps junkshots! How to quickly evaluate a locations potential based on the junk, its depth and composition...if this place has ever been hunted etc...Based on the junk, a guy can then set up right, concentrate, and target specific signals accordingly.....Those junkshots are super important.....
I'm sure that you've noticed that I'm not digging nearly as much as I used to. I'm grunting more and more getting up and down to dig the targets as well.

Beep you said you were due a half and looks like you were right!Congrats!:shock:
Thanks! That's my second one this year. I'm still amazed when one pops out the ground!

beephead

That's no lie on the grunting I'm getting close to that, BH! You need to get a Sampson to save your back!

That's no lie on the grunting I'm getting close to that, BH! You need to get a Sampson to save your back!
I've got one with the extra long handle called the "Dixie". I only use it in the woods and in old fields away for onlookers. Most of the yards that I detect the owners and neighbors might get offended if I used it, so I use a hand trowel instead.

BTW, a Sampson shovel will do no more harm to the turf than a hand trowel, but it's all in the optics of what people see and think.

beephead

Cheated again? Lol, send some of your bad luck my way. Congrats on the half and other nice finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Hunt Beep !!! Sorry you didn't get your Barber but the Walker is no slouch for sure. Congrats on your finds and I am sure that Barber will show up soon !!
HH ... Pesc

Back
Top Bottom