In God we trust and liberty.

C+L

Hello to all. Well, I was wondering why the words "in God we trust" and "Liberty do not appear on the older coins like IHP's and other stuff. Do any of you guys have an explanation?

I am not sure, but glad they did.I have wondered that myself a time or two.

Hello to all. Well, I was wondering why the words "in God we trust" and "Liberty do not appear on the older coins like IHP's and other stuff. Do any of you guys have an explanation?
Sure it does. It shows up on my civil war-era 1865 two-cent peice. It’s just not specific on every coin type.

Look close, "Liberty" is on the headband of an IHP.

Attachments

• 20170820_205153433_iOS.jpg
    20170820_205153433_iOS.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 233
Oh ... I forgot about the V nickel and didn't even think of the IHP having it.

I've been curious about which coins have it and when they were put on it too. :D

Here are some more older coins that have it (a couple of them I find out today :research:):

• Shield Nickel - In God We Trust was put on it in 1866, but taken off for the "V" Nickel & Buffalo Nickel, and put back on in 1938 for the Jefferson Nickel.
  • Seated Liberty Quarter, Half Dollar, & Dollar - In God We Trust was put in banner above eagle on Reverse in 1866.
  • Barber Quarter & Half Dollar - Put on the Obverse above Lady Liberty, added in 1892.
  • Morgan Dollar - Liberty is on the handband of Lady Liberty on the obverse and In God We Trust is on ribbon on reverse. Put on in 1878.
  • Peace Dollar - Liberty is above Lady Liberty on the Obverse. Put on in 1921.
  • Trade Dollar - In God We trust is in a box right above the date, and Liberty is on a ribbon in Lady Liberty's hand (both on the Obverse). Minted 1873-1885.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom