Possibility of drops???

40acre1870

Forum Supporter
Doing some more research on my area and came across this. I have a county drain [Beaubian Creek) that runs thru the middle of my property. I just found out when it was dug, 1914.

I'm wondering what may be lying in wait back there. I have never ran a coil over it, but you never know until you do. How many people do you think would have been working on a project like this... I love this stuff.

The picture now is looking east / west, running behind where the guys are standing in the original, and the the deer is heading north out of the ditch.

Attachments

• Dredging.jpg
    Dredging.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Cut.jpg
    Cut.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 392
  • Deer.jpg
    Deer.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 396
I see two people and neither one are working :lol:

But really I would certainly check it , and the sides like how that one is sitting resting while his coins slip out of his pockets. I can imagine a lot of breaks being taken on the hillsides of the ditch.

I see two people and neither one are working :lol:

But really I would certainly check it , and the sides like how that one is sitting resting while his coins slip out of his pockets. I can imagine a lot of breaks being taken on the hillsides of the ditch.

Ha... Right. When the heat dies down a bit, I will check it out. Would love to find something.

.... How many people do you think would have been working on a project like this...

I live in an area laced with ditch / canals like that. All dug "back in the day" when it was hand-labor. And no: The fact of persons laboring to do that, doesn't bode well for coin-hunting. To the extent that in the week (or whatever ) they labored there, and *MIGHT* have lost a coin, it's going to be needles-in-hay-stacks.

The places to hunt are not those where a few blue-collar guys dug a ditch, or erected a power-pole or RR track for a week. It's where lots more people lived, slept, spent $, recreated, camped, etc.....

I live in an area laced with ditch / canals like that. All dug "back in the day" when it was hand-labor. And no: The fact of persons laboring to do that, doesn't bode well for coin-hunting. To the extent that in the week (or whatever ) they labored there, and *MIGHT* have lost a coin, it's going to be needles-in-hay-stacks.

The places to hunt are not those where a few blue-collar guys dug a ditch, or erected a power-pole or RR track for a week. It's where lots more people lived, slept, spent $, recreated, camped, etc.....

I understand all of that... But... It's in my yard so I will look and I will be hopeful. It's not like I am going out of my way. The second gold coin I find, you can have. :D

Those ditch/canals are for flood control. Think many were dug, using convict labor (chain gangs), back when prison actually worked to deter crime. I'm sure a lot of stuff has happened over the past hundred years, since they were dug. Might consider getting wet, never know what got washed through there. Doesn't take a lot of water, on a hot day, for kids to splash around in. People fish in the craziest of places, places I would let my dog near. Then again, fishing isn't always about catching fish.

If it's on your property, then what the heck - give it a try! I found some interesting stuff on my property near where they was an old lime kiln (same kind of principle - not a ton of people, but some folks did build and use it). I found buttons, one Indian head penny, and some assorted broken horseshoes, and farm type stuff.
Let us know what you find!

The coolest part is that you found some history of your area. I'd take that pic you found and hang it up somewhere. :yes:

Looks cool to this guy!

I'd walk the area and look for places where the workers may have sat down for lunch. Money has been dropped everyplace people have walked, crawled or swam.

Low coinage may be replaced by some interesting relics.

Back
Top Bottom