Highly affuent area near me.

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
I'm thinking of asking permission from a park coordinator or maybe even the city to detect their parks/playgrounds. I have a few questions before pettitioning though.

1. Do you usually find better stuff in highly affluent areas? This is a small segmented "community" within another large city, and while the main city does have jurisdiction there - the community has their own police force (highly monitored area) and regulations. $1 million dollar homes and 8,000 residents.

2. The angle I'm thinking to use would be to apply to a sense of safety and show them some of the more rusty dangerous finds (nails, torn cans, sharp metal) that have been had in playgrounds. Tell them I will carefully remove all metal hazards because really who wants their kids falling off the monkey bars and a rusty nail go through thier hand? 22 parks and playgrounds in this small community.

3. Highly maintained and manicured area. I could really only dig in loose soil. Ie: sand, woodchips, gravel. I already know they won't let me dig in grassy fields for sure, some of these parks don't even allow picnicing.

My chances of getting permission are probably nil, but I think it'd be worth a shot. What you think? Any tips to help get permission?

Is there a sign of park rules that the city has erected near the entrance or in the park somewhere? I know I'm gonna sound like someone out on the left coast here, but if there are park rules and it says nothing about metal detecting, digging, defacing or disturbing the plants or grass...

But if you truly are a "novice" like your name implies then you may want to stay away from the parks and public properties until you can leave no trace of a plug upon completion. Try just coin popping (search Youtube for the term "coin Popping") with a screw driver or gasket scraper and some hemostats but don't take a digging tool with you.

Here's what I use...

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-1-2-half-inch-locking-clamp-99930.html

image_12310.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=gasket+scraper

image_12898.jpg

But if you ask, I'd bet you'll get a "NO!"

Wellity wellity wellity!...Take a breath Mr.N and get ready for some armchair advice!...:laughing:

Theres a lot of variables to approach hunting a place like this!...Basically, what is your standing the Community? Your Wifes a teacher, so that helps...I for SURE wouldnt ask a soul for 'permettso!'....I dress in nice old guy clothes and go early with nothing but a screwdriver...I aint hurting nothing or nobody, for all appearances I am a responsible tax paying Adult....l also have a ready line of chatter just in case the Five Oh roll up...

Just go and give the place a quick pass to see what you are dealing with early tomorrow...might not be worth your while...if it is, just go ahead and work it until somebody tells you to stop...snipe just the shallow targets with a driver, early mornings..in and out and gone, dont overstay your welcome or push it when the dog walkers show up!:laughing:

Dont wear a toolbelt or knee pads or dress like Thorin Oakenshield with a friggin pick slung over your shoulder!..flip flops and shorts are the proper attire for a place like that!...Gotta be gold in there!
Mud (never hadda problem)

Is there a sign of park rules that the city has erected near the entrance or in the park somewhere? I know I'm gonna sound like someone out on the left coast here, but if there are park rules and it says nothing about metal detecting, digging, defacing or disturbing the plants or grass...

But if you truly are a "novice" like your name implies then you may want to stay away from the parks and public properties until you can leave no trace of a plug upon completion. Try just coin popping (search Youtube for the term "coin Popping") with a screw driver or gasket scraper and some hemostats but don't take a digging tool with you.

But if you ask, I'd bet you'll get a "NO!

I am a novice, no doubt about it there...which is why I wouldn't dig any grass or create plugs there - yet. That's why I said ONLY loose soil for now. Need much more practice, but maybe once they are familiar with me a little more and I gain more rapport. I know if I go without asking, I will be harassed by the 5-0 and ran off. No question about that. There are ordinances within the community of not picnicing in certain parks, that has to do with destruction of the grasses/plants I'm sure. This is the type of community that has way too much freaking money to waste on seasonal displays of plants and flowers.

I'll start researching the coin popping. Thanks!

Wellity wellity wellity!...Take a breath ND and get ready for some advice!...:laughing:

Theres a lot of variables to approach hunting a place like this!...Basically, what is your standing the Community? Your Wifes a teacher, so that helps...I for SURE wouldnt ask a soul for 'permettso!'....I dress in nice old guy clothes and go early with nothing but a screwdriver...I aint hurting nothing or nobody, for all appearances I am a responsible tax paying Adult....l also have a ready line of chatter just in case the Five Oh roll up...

Just go and give the place a quick pass to see what you are dealing with early tomorrow...might not be worth your while...if it is, just go ahead and work it until somebody tells you to stop...snipe just the shallow targets with a driver, early mornings..in and out and gone, dont overstay your welcome or push it when the dog walkers show up!:laughing:

Dont wear a toolbelt or knee pads or dress like Thorin Oakenshield with a friggin pick slung over your shoulder!..flip flops and shorts are the proper attire for a place like that!...Gotta be gold in there!
Mud (never hadda problem)

Unfortunately, it's going to be khaki pants and a collar at a place like this. I have no standing there, wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to run a background check on me. If they do grant permission, I need to look the part in this place and give a good representation. I might scout it out with just the detector and test how much hassle I get. The "uptown yuppie" shops are close, so I could dress up and say I just wandered off course if anything happens.

This is the kind of place where if you are not helping to pay their extremely exuberant property taxes, they really don't welcome you. But living in the big city, there is not much chance for civil war relics or hunting anything like that, so I might as well go for the lost gold and I know this is the most likely part of town to find some.

I know, straight into the lions den on this one! Maybe I'll try to gain permission at other cities surrounding it first. Then go to them, present my permissions with the safety angle in hopes to seek their permissions as well. Like building blocks. There has got to be a way to get in there and not get into trouble.

Just my .02 but I would give it a scouting run JUST DETECTOR. Swing around and see what is there. Do it during a fairly busy part of the day so that Joe officer drives by and sees you. If he drives on, I'd say odds are in your favor. If he stops you, worst case he's going to tell you to leave. Because you're not digging, I'd say little risk of him ticketing you for anything.

If officer smiley ignores you and you find some good targets, go back with a screw driver and do some popping. Bring a good non metal scoop to hit the mulch and loose dirt areas. After a couple of hunts move into need plugs mode.

That is what I'm doing with a very similar area near me. So far no one has said boo. Going to start digging up some deep plugs soon and see what's under there.

BCD

Just my .02 but I would give it a scouting run JUST DETECTOR. Swing around and see what is there. Do it during a fairly busy part of the day so that Joe officer drives by and sees you. If he drives on, I'd say odds are in your favor. If he stops you, worst case he's going to tell you to leave. Because you're not digging, I'd say little risk of him ticketing you for anything.

If officer smiley ignores you and you find some good targets, go back with a screw driver and do some popping. Bring a good non metal scoop to hit the mulch and loose dirt areas. After a couple of hunts move into need plugs mode.

That is what I'm doing with a very similar area near me. So far no one has said boo. Going to start digging up some deep plugs soon and see what's under there.

BCD

Appreciate it! First will be a dry run detector only for sure.

I just spoke with a park security officer here in my town, and she said it was fine just not too late at night around here and NO OPEN HOLES! I assured her no problem there, told her how there are ways we can responsibly dig and still cover back to keep it safe and unharmed. She said some dude used to come and create holes everywhere but hasn't seen him in awhile. I told her I can totally understand and respect that.

Looks like I might not need permission after all? Just reading through the towns ordinances, and the only thing that I can see that would apply to me would be this:

Damaging or removing trees, plants or grass

No person shall damage, cut, carve, transplant or remove any tree or plant, or injure the bark, or pick the flowers or seeds, of any tree or plant growing in a park, nor shall any person attach any rope, wire or other contrivance to any such tree or plant. No person shall dig in or otherwise disturb grass areas in a park or in any other way injure or impair the natural beauty or usefulness of any park area.

Since I'm not going to be plugging the grass and only looking for playgrounds with sand or mulch covering to find things, I think I'm in the clear.

Now, funny part is there are ordinances against nuisance sounds like honking a horn and blowing a whistle listed...so I'll definitely have to use the headphones.

Another funny is to fish in the creeks and ponds there, you have to have a permit from - get this... The Chief of Police in addition to the normal fishing license issued by the state.

Cost for a resident: free Cost for a non-resident: $5

So, if I need a permit of types to metal detect there...I know who to talk to!

I'm sure Tom CA will chime in here, he does a great job explaining why you do not need to ask for permission in public places.

This is one of the top 3 explosive topics among detectorists!

:popcorn2:

I'm sure Tom CA will chime in here, he does a great job explaining why you do not need to ask for permission in public places.

This is one of the top 3 explosive topics among detectorists!

:popcorn2:

I've already seen from another thread. It's not that I truly need permission, but more the graces of the "community" (and the whole police force there, consisting of all of probably like 4 cops). That's more who I am worried about. Maybe Tom can come distract them, and I can keep on my merry way.

Just go give it a try . Carry a bag of dangerous trash that you just happened to pull out of the tot lot . Maybe wear some some camo fatigues , if anyone ask , you're practicing your land mine , IED detection abilities for a possible upcoming deployment . Watch Full metal jacket and Hamburger Hill tonight to brush up on your military slang . :lol: Maybe check and see if they have an HOA , you might could kiss up to one of the old bitties in the HOA , in a hood like that , the HOA probably has more pull than the cops . Good luck .

I am from a really wealthy county in Ca (originally)and I recommend going to the playground,but have not found any high value things. Strangely I find more goodies from lower income areas.

......Maybe I'll try to gain permission at other cities surrounding it first....

Mr. Novice, I see you say you've read other posts on the topic. And seen my inputs. So to be brief then:

You might get some yes's by waltzing into city halls (which someone in-the-field could have promptly over-turned). And you could get some arbitrary "safe" no's in city halls too. So you see, it's rather abitrary & whimsical, in cases when the law is silent on the subject (so-far-as "specific" goes). And And you could just simply go, and no one might care less.

I've detected some millionaire enclave areas of CA before (without going to city hall for their princely permission). Places like Carmel, Piedmont, Los Gatos, Alameda, etc.... And sure: You have to use due discretion and common sense that you might not have to do in a blue-collar suburban enclave. I mean, if the millionaires are having a wine tasting party there, don't go waltzing over their beach blankets, etc...

But this isn't anything to do with METAL DETECTING per se. It has to do with ANY odd non-local person there. I've even seen homeless people (who were NOT doing a THING wrong. Except sitting to rest on park bench with their back-pack) who were ushered to the city limits. Because the rich folks don't even want panhandlers, etc.....

Just dont be like the Hispanic family of 10 I saw walking down the golf cart trail on the golf course with bags and coolers headed to the creek yesterday!

No theres no rule written about it...but it is a private course own by property owners...would love to have heard thst conversation!

But theres no sign or ordinances that say it's not a picnic area and no swimming....

So like some suggest....they just went and did it :roll:

Back
Top Bottom