coin help

56kenworth

So my buddy just got this coin. We were wondering if anyone here could help I.D. it. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• chappy1.jpg
    chappy1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 389
  • chappy2.jpg
    chappy2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 342
I'm curious ...

Why do you think it's an actual coin, and not just a modern-made something to look old, piece of jewelry?

That might not be a coin at all. Interested in others opinions though.

I'm curious ...

Why do you think it's an actual coin, and not just a modern-made something to look old, piece of jewelry?

Guys - I have studied ancient coins as an interest for several years. Many old coins are not perfectly shaped or round like modern stuff. Look up old Spanish silver or Roman coins and you will see what I mean. The gold looks real to me and the coin looks legit. Take it to an expert if you really want to know.

Guys - I have studied ancient coins as an interest for several years. Many old coins are not perfectly shaped or round like modern stuff. Look up old Spanish silver or Roman coins and you will see what I mean. The gold looks real to me and the coin looks legit. Take it to an expert if you really want to know.

:laughing: I've never studied ancient coins, but still knew all those things. All besides the point of my question though.

Real, or fake?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-23 at 2.29.33 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-06-23 at 2.29.33 PM.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot 2018-06-23 at 2.31.41 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-06-23 at 2.31.41 PM.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 232
That looks like a Spanish Cob coin. The images are similar to others I found with a Google search, it looks to be an early type rather than a pillar type, and later ones are uniformly round. I' sure there are more qualified people on here than me, but that is what it looks like.
The Cob coins were irregular in shape, but the weight is what mattered, and they were hand hammered. they are difficult to positively identify beyond type because much of the time the designs are incomplete.

Back
Top Bottom