Ordinance Language

milco

Elite Member
This language is from a municipal ordinance in a locale near me within the parks section:

"No person in a park shall do the following:
3. Removal of Natural Resources. Dig or remove any soil, rock, stones, trees, shrubs or plants, down timber or other wood or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting or other means or agency."

Don't think I would detect within parks in this area. It does not seem to directly say no detecting, but I am sure one concerned citizen could make an example of someone is viewed to be "excavating". And we say "dig" is a bad word to use!

Welcome to the forum from Maine.

I agree with Rich. I wouldn't touch it without permission.
If you know someone in the town government, you may be able to obtain permission to dig. A towel for the loose dirt, correctly hinged plug and possibly some plant food would be pertinent to that site ~ IF you were able to obtain permission.

This language is from a municipal ordinance in a locale near me within the parks section:

"No person in a park shall do the following:
3. Removal of Natural Resources. Dig or remove any soil, rock, stones, trees, shrubs or plants, down timber or other wood or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting or other means or agency."

Don't think I would detect within parks in this area. It does not seem to directly say no detecting, but I am sure one concerned citizen could make an example of someone is viewed to be "excavating". And we say "dig" is a bad word to use!

Our parks legal words are the same thing... if you call them they will probably tell you that you can metal detect but not dig... I told them what is the sense and they just smiled at me...

I don't know what state you are in but I have detected parks and never been stopped here in Connecticut... in fact a few park employees have come up to me to chit chat and then wandered off... half the employees and all the cops don't even know the rules and regs of the towns..

Welcome

Welcome to the Forum frrom Brel Air, Maryland. That is too bad you can't dig in the municipality. In my County we have three different town I met with the Chiefs of each municipality and the county sheriff's office they have no problem with MDing as long as you don't leave gopher holes.

There are so many other places to detect, I don't think I would bother in the parks in this area any way, unless I found a very good site. I just thought that with all of the comments on the forum about how to ask for permission and what language to use, it was quite humorous to see the word "excavate" in this ordinance.

Got a link to that ordinance? Being new to the hobby and seemingly in the same neighborhood as you, I'd like to read the whole thing. I've had no problems on Milwaukee beaches and have been MDing some of the parks but have only been digging up grass roots so far. ;)

The wording leaves no doubt that an MD'r retrieving a find could be prosecuted. That being said, I would venture a guess that a conscientious MD'r could likely go without ever being questioned. That means someone who picked up the trash and left no signs of digging. If it were me, I would first contact someone in authority, explain the process and benefit (glass, metal etc removal) and offer to demonstrate as well. I do believe this type of approach could be productive. RickO

Back
Top Bottom