• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

18K 1st Round Knockout!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I got back my Sand Shark on Wednesday from Tesoro and wanted to take it out for a spin since it is expected to be rough this weekend. (A big thank you to Rusty and Vince at Tesoro for taking care of me with their great service! :goodjob: ) The weather has just been amazing for most of this week and I decided to get back out there again yesterday. I left work just a tad early and went to Miami Beach. I was in the water at 2:30 and within 5 minutes I got my 1st target. I look in the scoop and LO & BEHOLD :dingding: I couldn’t believe that my 1st target was a gold ring!!! :cool12: THAT was a definite first for me! What’s a pirate to do except work on the second? The rest of the 4½ hour hunt was anticlimactic – very few targets and sanded in conditions. What was funny is that I saw no other pirates out there. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a hunt on South Beach where I didn’t see any others. When I got home I read some nice markings in the ring “Vivara”, “18K” along with a marriage date written in Latin American/European way (day/month/year) and “Lorena”. After some quick work on the internet “Vivara” is a Brazilian jewelry company and that ring is from their “Valentine” collection and it sells for BR$ 2,690 ($795 US). Maybe I can get over the $250 melt? About half way through my hunt I saw a large group congregate near the shore. They were pointing and had their cell phones out recording. A couple of them started to wave at me as if I was in danger. :ehh: After some time, I finally saw the HUGE Manta Ray that they were looking at. :blink: I knew it would be harmless to me but I still kept my eyes on him as he passed me by and headed out into open water. That was by far the biggest ray I have ever seen detecting. I was glad to have my SS back and to have had a very successful hunt with it on its 1st outing back from repairs.

Attachments

• 4-19-18.jpg
    4-19-18.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 702
  • 4-19-18 Ring.jpg
    4-19-18 Ring.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 720
  • 4-19-18 trash.jpg
    4-19-18 trash.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 716
  • 4-19-18 Fits.jpg
    4-19-18 Fits.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 702
Photos or it didn't happen...... ;)

Edited: When I clicked the link you hadn't added the photos yet...... :lol:

Awesome, great find!!!

Photos or it didn't happen...... ;)

Edited: When I clicked the link you hadn't added the photos yet...... :lol:

Awesome, great find!!!
I had the photos originally but I forgot a description so you must have been in between!

Great find Felix! Congrats! I love 18K as I find it so rarely and beacuse we get a lot of Pacific Rim tourists we find a lot of plat instead. Not complaining just saying. Congrats again.

Very nice!! I saw a huge manta ray when I was there also at the water tower by some beach close to the Trump Towers.

Hmmmm...Interesting that in your few days down here, and all the beaches to choose from, that you would be right "close" to the nudist beach! :ewink::laughing:
You'll be going viral, as the guy who didn't see the giant manta ray coming?
Famous 2X in less than a year?! Hurricane detecting in the national news last year and possibly going viral on a huge man-eating manta ray! I need to start writing me some detecting books and cashing in on all this! :laughing:

Congratulations! That's a nice ring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom