County land permission on Confederate soil

carnage1on1

I found a few fields in an industrial park area that are located on a known civil war road in North MS. After asking around a little bit to find out who the owner is, I hear that it is owned by the County.

I first went to the Sheriff's station to get permission to hunt this area and they told me to go to the County tax accessors office and talk to them. I went there and they told me they did not know the rules involved and couldn't guarantee it was county property without me giving them the mailing address of the property. Of course there is no mailing address there because its just pasture land on the edge of the industrial park.

Next I went to the City Attorney office. I spoke to a lawyer at the office and told him the situation. He told me that the only way to get permission would be to have the board of supervisors vote at their monthly meeting to allow me specifically to metal detect there. :pullhair: He also said that I would have to have a good reason for being there and it would be a liability on the county for me to be there because I could get HURT. I asked him what were the odds for getting permission since he seemed to be so knowledgable about it. He said very slim. SO ITS A NO GO. :dash2:

:secret: This is the first open field before you get into town that is undeveloped. The road next to it was traveled during the retreat of the Battle of Shilot, The Battle of Corinth, and the Battle at Davis Bridge. This property would definitely been a staging and camping area for the Confederate Army. :crying:

The Road was Called Pocahontas-Ripley road in 1863.

Any body tried to get county permission like this before. I dont think getting caught trespassing is an option. :sneaking: I need a legal way.

If you ask enough people, sooner or later you are going to get a no.

Are there any county owned parks in the area? I would treat that field the same as any county park property. As long as you are sure it is county property. An online GIS map should be able to show who owns it.

oh well I'll wait a couple years for new people to get voted in and just go hunt it. i just wanted to avoid being on the evening news for digging up stuff and being called a trespasser and a thief. I guess I was being too cautious for my own good.

Thanks, for the replies.

In that situation, I would verify that it is in fact county land, then make sure the county does not have any ordinances pertaining to a ban on MDing in parks or on county land. If that all checked out I would treat like any other public property and go at it. Of course if it was posted, I would not go either.

I would have hunted it after finding out it is public and then if they do not want you on it they will tell you.

Funny Thing

Hello I just resg. just now, I just ordered my first MD a beginer i guess something 505?? anyway was cruising these post and queried "Corinth" and saw this post and almost fell out of my chair I either own that property or at lease have a farm super close to it. That wwas the reason i wanted to buy a metal det so i could look around. I just recently had a small lake or large pond lol!! built and am finding like melted piecies of pure lead in the ground, some as big as your hand or bigger, can someone tell me why they would be there?? this is where i dug out for the lake?

thanks Rick

Permission Confederate land.

A good way to locate an owner,is to go to your registrar of deeds, or where deeded records are kept. Get the location of the property, and you can check out the records of current and past owners.

Also have you attempted local historical societies to volunteer your services, in exchange you may ask for some of the coins found if any.

just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom