Permission to detect at schools

Every school in my area is fenced with locked gates. But if I should find a gate open and no one is around all they can do is run me off Its illegal to kill me.

A buddy of mine actually found a buried key to a gate around a high school football field we hunted one day. It fit the locked gate! Ethically, maybe, not correct but we hit the concession stand area for a short period after using the key. I felt that it was fate.

... I felt that it was fate.

I consider the act of metal detecting to be "quite ethical".

There's not any other action that pays this level of utmost respect , for any place where someone swings a detector. It is: Respectful, ethical, educational, harmless, innocuous, healthy, nutritious, and virtuous. :cool:

I’ve got an annoying security guard that checks our schools. I just go early morning when she’s not around. She likes her power!

Always best to avoid being scene by the "fuzz" :) Especially when they don't have any real authority. Sometimes people like that exercise even more "power" than those who have the authority to do so.

I starting my hobby at the local schools and parks. I only hit the playgrounds as they are all mulch and compacted mulch. It is helping me learn how to dig. There have been a few times people showed up with their kids to play, I just move to where they are not playing. I have had a few times where the kids ran up to near where I was, so I marked the spot in the mulch and moved to another area. After they moved, I when back and dug that piece of trash up. :)

I worry more about carrying the full Sampson, 31" . In Parks and schools I use the handheld lesche and sometimes sneak the mini Sampson along. 18". Mini is probably the best digger on one knee I've ever used. But usually I'm using handheld standard lesche.
After all digging on properties is the issue. And I've seen some guys totally the opposite and dig with full spades right in sports fields!! That scares me.

I have only ever hunted parks and schools and I always use my NX-5 shovel. Nobody has ever said anything to me, and if they did, I'd tell them that I am a disabled vet and use the shovel for balance, like a cane. I dig great plugs and would ask them to try to find where I've retrieved targets. I'm not getting on my knees or squatting all day long.

!I dig great plugs and would ask them to try to find where I've retrieved targets. I'm not getting on my knees or squatting all day long.

Amen StevePcola

I have only ever hunted parks and schools and I always use my NX-5 shovel. Nobody has ever said anything to me, and if they did, I'd tell them that I am a disabled vet and use the shovel for balance, like a cane. I dig great plugs and would ask them to try to find where I've retrieved targets. I'm not getting on my knees or squatting all day long.
Thanks for your service.
I should have never mentioned the Sampson because what was really on my mind were a couple guys with "regular full size spades" that I've seen at parks. You have a good reason and most importantly have a "detectorist" shovel.
By the way, I see your in Fl. I was visiting our daughter in Sanford and got booted out of a nice looking park where old ferry boats used to travel and land around there in the St John's River. Maintenance pulled up just as I got started. "Sorry sir no detecting in Volusia county parks". oh boy! My heart just sunk.

... Maintenance pulled up just as I got started. "Sorry sir no detecting in Volusia county parks". oh boy! My heart just sunk.

My opinion, on encounters such-as-that , is: I do not necessarily construe any singular "scram", as constituting gospel law. Even when it comes seemingly from authority. Eg.: a gardener, or ranger, or cop, etc....

I have had, and have heard of MANY such encounters that ..... years later .... it turns out they were fluke occurrences. Ie.: you can detect there, till-this-day, and no one's ever heard so much as 'boo', ever again.

So it could just be someone having a bad hair day. Or a cop who go called by "miss-lookie-lou", because she thought you were bothering earthworms. Blah blah.

If there is not a specific law that truly says "no md'ing", then I do not construe such scrams as being a law that I must now follow. Instead, to me, it just means: Give lip service, move on, and then Avoid that singular person in the future. :roll:

My opinion, on encounters such-as-that , is: I do not necessarily construe any singular "scram", as constituting gospel law. Even when it comes seemingly from authority. Eg.: a gardener, or ranger, or cop, etc....

I have had, and have heard of MANY such encounters that ..... years later .... it turns out they were fluke occurrences. Ie.: you can detect there, till-this-day, and no one's ever heard so much as 'boo', ever again.

So it could just be someone having a bad hair day. Or a cop who go called by "miss-lookie-lou", because she thought you were bothering earthworms. Blah blah.

If there is not a specific law that truly says "no md'ing", then I do not construe such scrams as being a law that I must now follow. Instead, to me, it just means: Give lip service, move on, and then Avoid that singular person in the future. :roll:

Actually it isn't allowed in Volusia county parks....So in this case it's not just a "bad hair day" as so many others are.

Park Rules

Actually it isn't allowed in Volusia county parks....So in this case it's not just a "bad hair day" as so many others are.

Park Rules

Ok. And I'll bet you I can guess the reason why it's there, in specifics now . Anyone care to take a guess as to the probable origin of this specific's clause like this ? And no, it won't be d/t "holes". (although, ... sure ... that will be the platitude answer they would give someone, if you asked "why ?" )

Ok. And I'll bet you I can guess the reason why it's there, in specifics now . Anyone care to take a guess as to the probable origin of this specific's clause like this ? And no, it won't be d/t "holes". (although, ... sure ... that will be the platitude answer they would give someone, if you asked "why ?" )

Is it because the Knights Templars were hiding from the King of France and wanted to escape in order to hide their treasures (taken from the Holy Land of course) in Volusia County, while at the same time, many of their number went North to Oak Island to design an intricate wild goose chase for future generations?

Is it because the Knights Templars were hiding from the King of France and wanted to escape in order to hide their treasures (taken from the Holy Land of course) in Volusia County, while at the same time, many of their number went North to Oak Island to design an intricate wild goose chase for future generations?

Haha, ok, in which case, all of that would fall under the heading of "cultural heritage", :laughing:

Thanks for your service.
I should have never mentioned the Sampson because what was really on my mind were a couple guys with "regular full size spades" that I've seen at parks. You have a good reason and most importantly have a "detectorist" shovel.
By the way, I see your in Fl. I was visiting our daughter in Sanford and got booted out of a nice looking park where old ferry boats used to travel and land around there in the St John's River. Maintenance pulled up just as I got started. "Sorry sir no detecting in Volusia county parks". oh boy! My heart just sunk.

Thank you for the thanks, tinsmith!

I ran into the "no metal detecting" law up in Roswell, GA. I go up there fairly often to see my girlfriend, so I was anticipating beeping around the sports complexes that we had been to over the years to watch her kids play various sports. BUT!

I brought up the rules and regs for Roswell and there was a specific prohibition on metal detectors. It even specified that, if you lost something, you could apply for a permit to find that item, but anything else you found had to be given to the Parks and Recreation division.

Scrooge that. I checked Alpharetta's ordinances (city next door to Roswell) and they had no such prohibition, so I went there and cleaned up their fields and parks.

It is unfortunate that there have been MDists in the past that messed it up for the rest of us in some places.

... and there was a specific prohibition on metal detectors. .....

..It is unfortunate that there have been MDists in the past that messed it up for the rest of us in some places.

Curious what you think that past md'rs did, that might have brought about ("messed it up") that law ? I bet I know why it got on the books. And .... no .... I bet it wasn't "holes they left" or "shovels", etc.... I just have a hunch. :roll:

I've been hunting schools since I got into this hobby in 1983 and I have NEVER asked for permission to hunt at any of them AND......I NEVER will. I always hunt them on weekends, school holidays, or after hours so that I don't have to deal with teachers, principals, custodians or whoever else might have a bug up their butt and ask/tell me to leave. I always use a handheld digger and NEVER a shovel.

Back
Top Bottom