• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Omega 8000 vs AT Pro. Ready? Go!!

Seanpaul

I think I've narrowed it down to these two and want feedback from y'all especially if you have both. I was originally asking about the G2 vs AT Pro but think the Omega would be a better fit for me. Honestly, if the AT was not waterproof then I would go with the omega and this is after originally saying the waterproof factor wouldn't be considered. I think its so cool to be able to get in the water with it if I want to do so. From video observations the Omega seems to be faster and deeper with better separation and ID. It seems that way from those videos anyway. I like the larger screen too as the AT is a little smallish. I'm mainly a park hunter after coins and jewelry among a lot of bottle caps, tabs and other aluminum trash. The AT seems nose heavy too so I would have to purchase the Garrett Gizmo for it. So, what do y'all think? What to do, what to do?

Last edited:
I cant tell you honestly cause I have not received my AT PRO yet but I had the Omega...it was a nice machine but just to chatty for me. But if you have the 5x10 DD coil it sure helps out alot and then its a decent machine. But I have to really say AT PRO even tho I dont have one...but will soon. Cosmetically it was not built as nice at all compared to the wifes 705..which I LOVE!!! that is one nice machine..almost as nice as my SE PRO!! I hit coins this morning around 8 inches on stock coil. Waterproof stock coil.thats nice and really ID's coins nicely. My real honest opinion on the Omega..I was not real sold on it at all. Look at the 705 once as well..if water is hunting is not a real issue. It might be the way to go..real stable machine.

I cant tell you honestly cause I have not received my AT PRO yet but I had the Omega...it was a nice machine but just to chatty for me. But if you have the 5x10 DD coil it sure helps out alot and then its a decent machine. But I have to really say AT PRO even tho I dont have one...but will soon. Cosmetically it was not built as nice at all compared to the wifes 705..which I LOVE!!! that is one nice machine..almost as nice as my SE PRO!! I hit coins this morning around 8 inches on stock coil. Waterproof stock coil.thats nice and really ID's coins nicely. My real honest opinion on the Omega..I was not real sold on it at all. Look at the 705 once as well..if water is hunting is not a real issue. It might be the way to go..real stable machine.

Will the Omega quiet down with a little decreased sensitivity adjustment? I did notice on videos a little bit of spit and sputter here and there, maybe from emi or too high a sensitivity. Is that what you are referring to? What specifically did not sell you on the Omega? Was it just too noisy or missing targets that the 705 was picking up? What, in your opinion, would have made it better?

Even on less sensitivity...it would still chatter alot and that did not matter where I was hunting..so not really an EMI issue they are just known to be that way. Now its performance was much better once I got the 5x10 DD coil on it.

But overall it was pretty decent machine..but not half as nice as the 705 my wife uses. I love all the options I have with the 705. Quick noise cancel, and GB...after that your set to swing. Preset Coin and prospecting options...just a nice machine and to me built better than the Omega.

Ok thanks a bunch Mike, that is something I will have to take into consideration as I generally do not like a noisy detector.

Sean no problem my friend its just my opinion. I knew they were chatty but I took a chance and it just talked way to much for me. Most reviews will tell you they are noisy..but are coin killer..and i found my share. Good luck Sean its a tough decision..maybe you will love the 8000, you can find used ones for around 385..so keep your eye out.

Apples to Oranges. Depends on hunting style and preference. Both great machines. I'd google "omega vs at pro". Lots of great info out there on many sites including this one. I find findmall and dankowski have the most technical info.

I have owned them both, and if I had to pick between them to the AT was a better machine. Much quieter and waterproof. Now the display is alot nicer on the 8000 tho but all is preference.

Owned both and both are great detectors for the money. If I did mostly relic hunting I'd probably go with the 8000, but I prefer the AT Pro.

Back
Top Bottom