A Quick Hunt At A 1930's Hotspot

HistoryFinder89

Elite Member
Hey folks, I haven't posted in a while. Weather has been less than good for the most part. The ground is starting to thaw again, so yesterday I went with my buddy to one of our old honey holes. We are in the process of finding new sites. We may potentially have a good one lined up soon. So with new permissions pending, we headed to a spot that even though isn't giving up like it used to, it is still fun to dig here, because just about every signal is a drop from the 1930's or 1920's era. This section of woods was only used for about 10 years during that time. From about 1925 to about the mid 1930's, this place was used. And what is so cool for me to hear about this place is, before we started detecting this woods, it may have been a virgin area. It certainly produced that way, a few years ago when we first started detecting there. It gave up lots of Mercs, Barber dimes, sharp SLQs, Barber quarters, one Barber Half, Lots of Buffalo Nickels, V Nickels, early wheats, and a few IH pennies. This site was a big producer, and to this day, it is one of my more favorite sites I have ever found. Mainly because when you enter this woods, it is like turning back time to the 1930s. Back then it wasn't really a woods, now a woods has grown over it, and that is one of the things that may have kept it hidden from most over the years. Even though we may have pounded it to where there are almost no repeatable signals left, I am super proud to this day of finding this site. You don't find many places like this anymore in this day in age. Anyway enough of me reminiscing. It is a pounded site now. We spent a few hours in this woods, my buddy picked up some nice time period relics, and I picked up three wheat pennies, two 1919 wheats, and a 1928 wheat. A nice readable date 1918 Buffalo, two 1926 Mercs, and a 1909 D Barber quarter, that was in the hole with a rusty iron bolt. The bolt may have been why this signal was missed. It was tough to read, even on the E-trac I only hit it from one angle I believe. I included a picture of the bolt next to it. There are a couple areas in this woods that are concentrated with iron. I also found one of the Mercs in an area like that. There may not be anymore coins in this woods, but like you seen right here, you never know. Until next time, thanks for looking and HH Everyone! :)

Attachments

• 20170324_170854.jpg
    20170324_170854.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 20170324_170955.jpg
    20170324_170955.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 422
  • 20170324_171313.jpg
    20170324_171313.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 413
Nice finds! I always enjoy your posts. Your average days at hunted out sites are better than my best days lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It is even more satisfying when those coins come from a special hunt location. Congratulations on not giving up on it and still finding some great coins. Certainly a hunt to be proud of.:yes: Congratulations !!

This section of woods was only used for about 10 years during that time. From about 1925 to about the mid 1930's, this place was used.

HF, thanks for sharing and I enjoy the detailed accounts. When you say the woods were only "used" for 10 years, what do you mean by that? Can you divulge what they were used for without compromising your actual location?

Congrats on some nice silver. Would've been a real great day for me.

Don

HF, thanks for sharing and I enjoy the detailed accounts. When you say the woods were only "used" for 10 years, what do you mean by that? Can you divulge what they were used for without compromising your actual location?
Well, I can't go in too much detail, but there was sporting activity, camping, and possibly skiing and or sledding involved in this area back in the 20s and 30s. You can see the sledding hill inside the woods, and still some of the large rocks that surround the old fire pits from camping. Actually some trees actually grew through some of them over the years, it's really cool stuff to see.

Back
Top Bottom