Iron Artifacts Restoration

archaeology22

Recently finished restoring some extreme rusted iron artifacts and thought I'd share some before and after photos. Here are my first two: a pulley wheel from a hay trolley found at an old abandoned farm site and a 6 lb iron found at an abandoned CCC camp. More to come.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 503
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_4454.JPG
    IMG_4454.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4453.JPG
    IMG_4453.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_4450.jpg
    IMG_4450.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_4451.jpg
    IMG_4451.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_5479.JPG
    IMG_5479.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_5481.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 486
Nice work! How do you do it?

It takes patience of course. I start out with a wood chisel and scrape off the larger rust flakes, then get at it with a wire brush. After that I will sand it or use a wire wheel - depending on how badly rusted it is. Then I soak it in Evapo-rust for 24-48 hours. After the Evapo-rust bath, I wash it down with soap and water and a wire brush and let it dry. If there is still rust on it, soak it again for another 24 hrs and repeat the process. I'm currently working on a railroad spike and some horseshoes. Will post when they're done.

It takes patience of course. I start out with a wood chisel and scrape off the larger rust flakes, then get at it with a wire brush. After that I will sand it or use a wire wheel - depending on how badly rusted it is. Then I soak it in Evapo-rust for 24-48 hours. After the Evapo-rust bath, I wash it down with soap and water and a wire brush and let it dry. If there is still rust on it, soak it again for another 24 hrs and repeat the process. I'm currently working on a railroad spike and some horseshoes. Will post when they're done.
Thanks, archaelogy22. I've started using Evapo-rust as well with very good results. May give apple cider vinegar a try next.
Nick

Any reason you don't do electrolysis? I've always done that and have been happy with the results and it seems to go quickly. The only difference I see is that electrolysis seems to take it back to a darker color.

Do you seal yours with anything? Wax? Oil?

Any reason you don't do electrolysis? I've always done that and have been happy with the results and it seems to go quickly. The only difference I see is that electrolysis seems to take it back to a darker color.

Do you seal yours with anything? Wax? Oil?

No particular reason. I use electrolysis for smaller items; I just don't have the space to set up a large electrolysis unit (no garage and live in the city). I have seen online how well electrolysis works for larger iron artifacts and like you said, the only difference I see is the darker color. I find the evapo-rust works well and I tend to like the gray color that they turn out to be. I am going to eventually seal them with paraffin wax, but first I will soak them in the evapo-rust once more before I do that, as I still see some rust on them.

Evapo-Rust is great stuff!!!

Awesome, thanks for posting! Gives me hope for my growing pile of rust that I hope to clean this winter. That clothes iron is a great find.

Back
Top Bottom