Help ID small token with "E" on it

I sure hope that there is someone who can ID these. Its puzzling that they can be found across the country, but can't be positively identified!

Last edited:
I agree with the previous poster. . . someone HAS to know what this is. So, we've decided:

- It's too fancy for a electrical knockout, and it does not have a 'nub' where it was broken off of something.
- It won't fit in a slot because the bend/curve is on only one side
- The bend/curve is too consistent in shape to be done by hand or a lawnmower.
- The bend/curve is not always in the same spot around the edge.
- It is copper/brass
- I believe it's gotta be at least 40-50-60+ years old or more.
- It seemingly has been found across multiple states, not limited to one region.

I sure hope that there is someone who can ID these. Its puzzling that they can be found across the country, but can't be positively identified!

I sure hope this one doesn't end up like the thread with that little two-handled ladle looking thing. That one still bugs me to this day.

I sure hope this one doesn't end up like the thread with that little two-handled ladle looking thing. That one still bugs me to this day.

I know exactly what item you are talking about. Thanks for the reminder! :lol:

This is a map that someone put together awhile back showing where some of these E discs have been found.
And No-one has been able to ID them yet.

Attachments

• E Disc.jpg
    E Disc.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 398
Could these be some sort of cap. The bend being there for access of a tool to pry it out/off?

Looking at the map, indicates that most are found near military bases (ie: N.C., Fort Bragg, S.C, Paris Island?)
Maybe is was connected to the military in some way?
Given also, the consensus of age ,50-60 years, it may be connected to WWII or Korea?

Looking at the map, indicates that most are found near military bases (ie: N.C., Fort Bragg, S.C, Paris Island?)
Maybe is was connected to the military in some way?
Given also, the consensus of age ,50-60 years, it may be connected to WWII or Korea?

Great insight right here!

All right, I had another member slap this this mystery item on my intro thread (after I ID'd a tricky medallion lol) so for two weeks I've been losing my mind over what it is!! So, I appealed to the Reddit forum https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthis...rasscopper/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

AND I think we have an answer..maybe.. It's an insert that was used to cover/ID an unopened military oil can. Some canisters were dual chambered and you had to know which was which in order to refill. I've found some WW2 era cans that were brass and the sizing looks about right for the ones carried on a person. 'E' could signify the oil grade or "Engine".. I'm looking for an EXACT match still but I feel like I'm on the right track at least.
il_794xN.2124476529_3g8q.jpg

I may have an answer....

I just joined FMDF because I came across someone posting about this mystery E on reddit some time back and it intrigued me. Recently, I saw an object which looks very much like this E, but unfortunately my request for further information was ignored.

The object itself is called a fuse cutout and is basically a large fuse that segments portions of the electric grid.

Notice the E in the second picture. I think this is the un-pried version of your E. Unfortunately, I have had no luck tracking down a picture of the identical version of this cutout fuse online to identify what function that part serves and whether or not it might be pried out of the fuse for some reason. It basically sits underneath a cap that covers one end of the fuse itself but I can't find why this intermediary disc would need to sit there.

Anyways, thought I'd post here in case anyone might be able to run it down further. I have found other brands of fuse cutouts that have a similar disc on top with an engraved E which looks very different, but I have not been able to find other instances of this same model. I'm still not sure what the E represents here, either.

Attachments

• 8fEoJFB.jpg
    8fEoJFB.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 148
  • CsleoJk.jpg
    CsleoJk.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 155
I just joined FMDF because I came across someone posting about this mystery E on reddit some time back and it intrigued me. Recently, I saw an object which looks very much like this E, but unfortunately my request for further information was ignored.

The object itself is called a fuse cutout and is basically a large fuse that segments portions of the electric grid.

Notice the E in the second picture. I think this is the un-pried version of your E. Unfortunately, I have had no luck tracking down a picture of the identical version of this cutout fuse online to identify what function that part serves and whether or not it might be pried out of the fuse for some reason. It basically sits underneath a cap that covers one end of the fuse itself but I can't find why this intermediary disc would need to sit there.

Anyways, thought I'd post here in case anyone might be able to run it down further. I have found other brands of fuse cutouts that have a similar disc on top with an engraved E which looks very different, but I have not been able to find other instances of this same model. I'm still not sure what the E represents here, either.

Wow! Thanks for this information. That certainly looks just like it! Would there be a reason for prying that part out? The crimp marks of all of them ive seen look very similar. Not just normal pry marks. This is a good lead in a long mystery.

I looked online and the fuseable link is treaded through the tube. Maybe that is the end of the link itself, under the cap?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom