Newbie frustrated with ATPRO

POOZ

Hi all, first time on this site. I'm new to detecting -recent retiree and close to Long Island sound in CT so I thought this would be fun. I have been out a few times with my ATPRO and so frustrated I am ready to chuck it into the ocean. It beeps at everything. I adjusted the sensitivity, and then it doesn't beep at all. I read saltwater is a problem for theses detectors, but I'm using it on the sand. And I read that black sand can be a problem, but I am using the ground balance and still no luck. I've tried the STD settings and the PRO settings. So far I'm not having any fun. Any users out there that can make some suggestion?

Hi all, first time on this site. I'm new to detecting -recent retiree and close to Long Island sound in CT so I thought this would be fun. I have been out a few times with my ATPRO and so frustrated I am ready to chuck it into the ocean. It beeps at everything. I adjusted the sensitivity, and then it doesn't beep at all. I read saltwater is a problem for theses detectors, but I'm using it on the sand. And I read that black sand can be a problem, but I am using the ground balance and still no luck. I've tried the STD settings and the PRO settings. So far I'm not having any fun. Any users out there that can make some suggestion?

Hi POOZ, welcome to the Friendly Forum, and I will try and give some advice. The AT Pro is an excellent detector for hunting dirt, that is, parks, curb strips, lawns, fairgrounds, ballfields, play equipment lots, and in FRESH WATER and at FRESH WATER beaches.

ALL single frequency VLF detectors struggle a lot at operations in the highly mineralized SALT WATER, and SALT WATER WET SAND beaches. They do OK in DRY sand, though even there their performance is degraded somewhat. I'm sorry to say, if you bought the AT Pro for salt water detecting it was a poor choice. Not critical of you, just that ALL single freq VLF detectors do poorly in that type of detecting. I use the AT Pro exclusively, and only for detecting dirt and fresh water areas where it does a very good job. I did try it once at a salt water beach in the Seattle area and it was lousy, will never waste my time like that again. My Western WA friends with a MXT Pro (single freq) and AT Max (single freq) also did poorly.

I would suggest the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800 (both are multi frequency) for salt water operations, they both work great if you want to hunt dry dirt or any type of salt water or fresh water beach. There are also other detectors designed more for salt water operations of which I am not that familiar with, and there are other very knowledgeable folks here on the Friendly Forum that can give more specifics and hopefully will chime in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom