Bad Coils

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Heres a little something people need to consider when buying coils and just putting them away if they water hunt. The other day i had one of my Xcals for sale .... it sold and i was about to ship it. Noticed..... cracked coil cable. Darn right? Well i had 2 NEW and 1 almost new so i sent it to have the almost new one swapped out. During the repair...... he noticed, its cracked too. Now down 2 coils..... i go to my storage and pull out a NEW one still in the plastic......would you believe BOTH those new coils have cracks too..... ugh .... down 4 coils.

So it appears you might be better off just having one put on at the time as opposed to buying one for a later swap. I can only assume its a heat issue. I keep all my metal detector extras in a large tool chest in my garage. Its not ACed but stays much cooler than outside. Looks like ill be selling these 3 coils they should still work for dirt and shallow water hunting.......$40 apiece sound about right?

I keep all my detectors, mostly excals stored in the house and air conditioned.

My car is a hatch back so I can keep the excals air conditioned to and from the beach.

The rubberized wire insulation reminds me of the rubber on my old British sports cars which did not do well in the Florida climate.

Dew I got cracked Excal coil cables and headphone cables. Wanting to rebuild both but not sure where to find new ones?
From where and what coil would you suggest I get for an older blue Excal 1000?
I have no problem doing the work myself. Are new 8' coils available anywhere?
I'm sure the pot o-rings need to be replaced as well. Got a link for any of the above?

Hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong. There are two sizes of O rings for those knobs. The smaller: EPDM 1.5X3.5mm 70A, the larger is EPDM....i BELIEVE are 1.5X5 also 70A. All the ones i got came from Macmaster-Carr...... but the packages were from: WWW.usasealing.com

Here is a thread for it: https://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1437544,1437544#msg-1437544

Now.... 8" coil Keith at ML repair may still have a few you might contact him: 814-215-1732 They stopped making them what 3 years ago, but may still have a few in stock. Not certain if they will sell them thou........ i know they DONT sell the Xcal coils unless they put them on. That said....... Sov coils work just as good so i suspect finding a Sov 8 or 10 would be much easier.

Headphone cable..... you can use a sterio extender cord or about any coiled 2 wire. Remove the top ikelite connector..... cut at the top of the other .... drill the old wires out because they should be epoxied in. Dont damage the ikelite unless you intend on replacing it..... then you might as well just get a 4 pin M12 (CTX connector) so you can connect and unconnect the phones.

Last edited:
No big deal.... that’s one of those little things in life you don’t worry about lol. But it looks like unless you have a Sov you use regular and extra coils ... I wouldn’t buy none and store um. Or just send it to ML and call it a day with a new one.

Looks like ill be selling these 3 coils they should still work for dirt and shallow water hunting.......$40 apiece sound about right?

I've had no issues storing my equip, but every year I winterize all my detectors or anything in storage. For the coils, I rub silicone grease up and down the coil wire to keep them conditioned. Also it is best to never leave your coil wire wrapped around the shaft for long periods of time. It will form to the shaft and trying to unwrap or straightening it can cause it to crack.
Unfortunately the jacket of the wire is very susceptible to dry rotting, mainly from the UV light.
So for 40 bucks, that may be fair if its a newer 10" Tornado coil.

Dew I got cracked Excal coil cables and headphone cables. Wanting to rebuild both but not sure where to find new ones?
From where and what coil would you suggest I get for an older blue Excal 1000?
I have no problem doing the work myself. Are new 8' coils available anywhere?
I'm sure the pot o-rings need to be replaced as well. Got a link for any of the above?

You get get new orings on Amazon. I think these are the uppers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWC3G/

For an 8' coil, I dont think you will find one but there are plenty of small BBS coils you can use. I personally like the the NEL or CORS coils. I'd look into something like the sharpshooter or even the 5"

If I were you, I would replace the headphone and coil cable. For the headphones, you can replace the wire with a Workman MIL10 6 Wire CB Radio Replacement Microphone Cord. Then rebuild the headphones into a new more comfortable headset like Mpow 035 Noise Reduction Safety Ear Muffs.

The coil wire is more tricky. There's different ways to replace it but its never the same unless you can get down into the coil where the preamp is. I heard theres a guy on ebay that does it in Russia. He may be on the site too.
I did a wire replacement but opted to cut the wire at the top above the threads of the cable gland. Spliced the wire in and used a 2" long PVC tube that was threaded on where the gland was, then filled the tube with epoxy. Worked great after that.

Ufff, that stinks man! I've seen minelab coil wires deteriorate terribly over the years from UV damage. Maybe for storage using a silicon spray would be the best bet?
A few years ago i replaced my excal coil with a 8 incher i got from amazon, it was listed as a sov gt coil, not a terrible complicated job if you have a steady hand for soldering.

Back
Top Bottom