Anyone in Maine- Eastport/Lubec

jimther

Elite Member
Heading up to Lubec, Maine soon and staying at a former Coast Guard Lifesaving Station (West Quoddy Station). Lubec is the easternmost point of the mainland US and is the gateway to Campobello Island, Canada, where Franklin Delano Roosevelt spent leisure time. Will be visiting relatives near Eastport.

I'm wondering what the density of detectorists is in that neck of the Maine woods. I would think not that heavy, as the population really thins out up that way.

Have any of you Mainers or vacationers detected in the Eastport / Lubec area or know of others who have?

Thanks for any tips or thoughts to share.

Jim in Boston

Don't let that fool you, if there is sand, people where there at one time or another and lost something. This also means how they got there, where they walked or camped overnight. Do a Google Earth first and start with that. Bring GPS just in case!

Good Luck!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying Dbbltap. Have Google Earth’ed and have a GPS. Have read up a little on the history of the area (mostly farmers and fishermen). Just started trying to learn where the fairs, festivals and picnic areas were in that area. Probably won’t have a lot of time to detect, but want to maximize chances of locating a decent detecting spot in advance. Thanks again. Jim

Resurrecting this thread

Hey Jim, I’m going up there next week.
Did you find any good spots? Im a newbie and this will be my first real detecting trek.
Thanks!

Hi Richard
I only got one chance to detect on that trip and it was for only just more than an hour or so at the former Coast Guard station ( with owner’s permission). Found a few modern coins and a Wheat cent, along with the usual trash, but nothing indicating its former life as a Coast Guard station. Lot’s of farm properties and the occasional abandoned house, all overgrown with weeds, but no time to find owners or get permission. Your best bet might be beaches or parks. Just cover your holes and give the hobby a positive shine. Good luck and have a good trip.

Last edited:
I would love to go up there. Has been on my radar for quite some time. My Dad's family is from the Ft. Kent area. I think the plan is for next year to go have a look see.

Back
Top Bottom