Explorer SE

greasecarguy

I see threads here on some popular moels so I thought I would start one on my new machine. Although not the absolute top of the line, nonetheless, a quality machine.

My goal here would be to have input and reports from users to help out all levels of gamers.

My first experience with the machine was an overwhelming array of tones. While there were so many, I did not know what was a digger or not, I ended up diggin mostly junk. Screw on bottletops were the main target but I did find some clad and a wheatie. I realized too late that I was in a trashy location and would have opted to minimize this if I could do it again.

A fella on another forum told me to leave it in preset and then to dig any signal that repeated in all directions. This cut the garbage down to ~10%. Since then I have found 2 more wheaties and a bunch of clad. Stil hard to get away from the bottletops.

Another told me how to pinpoint which is difficult until you know the technique. This has since been corrected. I am told not to stray from the presests for a while and plan on doing so. With a total of ~ 6.5 hours logged, I know it will take a while to learn the language of the DD and Minelab.

I hunt very slow, I mean very slow and am in search of finding the elusive, deep, all directional repeating signal.

Hopefully I will be going out with a friend soon who is an experienced explorer user. This should yield better ideas as I always want to learn from experience.

Ok, so hopefully there are others here using the SE and can post their respective findings, tweaks and advice for us all to benefit from. I know Angelion is one and I would love for him to share his thoughts as we all know he is KILLING it! more importantly he does it consistantly.

HH,

Aaron

This info. absolutely helps. I can tell by my test garden that coins will not always repeat in all directions. I am just trying to get used to the tones. Whenever I dig a deep signal that doesn't repeat, it is almost always a rusty nail or trash target. Wish i could tell the difference...probably this will come with time.

also do not necessarily agree that you will consistently get a solid repeatable signal in all four directions with all good targets.

I agree. Now on shallow targets this is true, but for those really deep ones, you listen for that high tone. It can be only repeatable in one direction or even only on every other swing on the deep stuff.

OK then, how do you know if the one way deep signal is a digger? Hi tone? Prob. dig them all. So far they have been nails or parts thereof. What if you hear a bit of nulling in conjunction with the hi tone?

THis is really great and I appreciate the feedback. I will write the factory present down asap and post them here.

Aaron

Up to roughly 6" you can count on a good repeatable high tone, beyond that it is a matter of chance and experience. If I can get the high tone to repeat at least every other swing or even every 3rd swing, may be from only one direction, and the depth is good, then I will dig. Sure it still could be some deep rusted iron, but it may not be. I have found the odds are very good that it is a coin IF the depth shows 7" or more. Most iron will not give the correct depth.

Angel explained it to me a little in this post..I guess the hot rocks and deep iron sound the same as deep silver, except during pinpointing the iron gives a larger pinpoint area then a coin would & hot rocks fade out when pinpointing..I'm still learning the deep silver/coins but he definitely helped understand it better..:yes:..Angel could explain it way better then I can..

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=31259

Angel explained it to me a little in this post..I guess the hot rocks and deep iron sound the same as deep silver, except during pinpointing the iron gives a larger pinpoint area then a coin would & hot rocks fade out when pinpointing..I'm still learning the deep silver/coins but he definitely helped understand it better..:yes:..Angel could explain it way better then I can..

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=31259

This old post might be of help to summarize it.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=129786&postcount=1

i remember reading that post Rudy. thx.

EPI , I just discovered that i have not been using the factory presets as you must hold the power button for 2 seconds to get there and i have not done this. being this is a preowned machine, i believe I am using someone elses settings.

Here are the factory presets, please tell me what you would do:
sens 22
threshold 16
coins
iron mask 22
recovery fast and deep both off
contrast 5
noise cancel 5
volume 10
gain 8
tone 5
variability 8
limits 10
response normal
sounds conduct

Here's a handy chart that I copied off someone's website, but I can't remember whose.

Coin Fer Cond
--------------------- ------- -------
Large Cent
Draped Bust 02 29
--------------------- ------ -------
Small Cent
Flying Eagle 08 11
Indian Head 07 25
Indian Head (Fatty) 08 12
Wheatie 04 28,29
Wheatie (Steel) 31 28
Memorial 06 27
Two Cents
Don't have one yet
Three Cents
Silver 07 24
Nickel 11 02
Half Dime
Seated Liberty 07 24
Five Cents (Nickel)
Shield 10 05
Liberty (V) 10 05,06
Indian (Buffalo) 10 05,06
Silver War Nickel 09 07
Jefferson 10 06
Ten Cents (Dime)
Seated Liberty 03 29
Barber 02 29
Mercury 03 29
Roosevelt (Silver) 03 29
Roosevelt (Clad)
Twenty Cents
Don't have one yet
Quarter Dollars
Seated Liberty 01 29
Standing Liberty 00 29
Washington (Silver) 00 29
Washington (Clad) 00 29
Statehood 00 29
Half Dollars
Capped Bust 00 29
Walking Liberty 00 28
Franklin 00 28
Kennedy (Clad) 00 28
One Dollar (Silver)
Morgan 00 25,26
Eisenhower (Clad) 00 26,27
Susan B. Anthony 00 29
Sacagawea 00 29
Silver Eagle 00 15
Gold Currency
1 Dollar 08 04
2.5 Dollars 08 10
5 Dollars 07 22
10 Dollars 07 27
20 Dollars 04 29
Spanish Reales
Half Reale 07 27
One Reale 03 29
2 Reale 03 29

Jewelry
*Readings change according to size and thickness of bands
Gold Rings Fer Cond
14 kt 10-12 00-06
18 kt 08-11 02-09
Silver Rings
.925 00-03 27-30
Misc. Trash
Trash Item Fer Cond
Pulltabs 08,09 08-10
Beaver Tails 10 04
Screw Caps 06,07 27,28
Foil

here are my settings with stock coil. with smaller 8" coil i can go closer to 28-30 for sens
sens 25-26
accept coins only
iron mask (off but same setting as you, i turn on for temporary all metal mode when i hear a iffy signal)
recovery-deep (i get deeper response w/ on obviously lol. i find fast too chattery and make up for that by going much slower and using iron mask)

everything else is same as you except variability which is on 10.

response on cond- ive tried ferrous and it has its pros for sure but am not comfortable with it yet.

try saving two different presets in slot a and slot b in the machine, to cover the most likely situations youll encounter out in the field.

good luck!

sens 22
threshold 16
coins
iron mask 22
contrast 5
noise cancel 5
volume 10
gain 8
tone 5
variability 8
limits 10
response normal
sounds conduct[/QUOTE]

i remember reading that post Rudy. thx.

EPI , I just discovered that i have not been using the factory presets as you must hold the power button for 2 seconds to get there and i have not done this. being this is a preowned machine, i believe I am using someone elses settings.

Here are the factory presets, please tell me what you would do:
sens 22
threshold 16
coins
iron mask 22
contrast 5
noise cancel 5
volume 10
gain 8
tone 5
variability 8