Picked up a used XLT

Stang1968

Elite Member
Well, I've been stalking eBay for a few weeks looking at White's detectors and waiting for a good deal. Finally won an auction on an XLT this morning at a price point that I felt was reasonable. Its a slightly older one (with the Rainbow Spectrum decals). How do I tell how old it actually is? Can I just email White's with the S/N? I've been reading the older manual I found online, so hopefully I'll be prepared when I receive it. It did not come with headphones, and it was not clear which battery pack it has since all pictures showed it installed- Anyone have a good source for which ever pack I end up needing and White's headphones? I don't have super deep pockets right now, so I'm looking for average quality phones, not $150 phones that can amplify an ant screaming :).

Is there anything I need to know about the XLT? Quirks? Tips? I've already read here a few different programs, but only one looked like it may work for me out here.
Thanks everyone!

I've recently picked up a sand scoop (even USA made:yes:), Lesche digger, and dual muff headphones (29.00) on FleaBay. They have the individual volume controls on the muff, coiled cord, and right angle 1/4 inch jack and do cover the entire ear. They are very comfortable.

Congratulations on the new to you spectrum XLT. The XLT is one of whites best. You can just call whites and give them the S/N and they will tell you when it was made. I always prefer duel volume control headphones which don't have to be expensive to work well. ($20-$30)

Earl

Well, I've been stalking eBay for a few weeks looking at White's detectors and waiting for a good deal. Finally won an auction on an XLT this morning at a price point that I felt was reasonable. Its a slightly older one (with the Rainbow Spectrum decals). How do I tell how old it actually is? Can I just email White's with the S/N? I've been reading the older manual I found online, so hopefully I'll be prepared when I receive it. It did not come with headphones, and it was not clear which battery pack it has since all pictures showed it installed- Anyone have a good source for which ever pack I end up needing and White's headphones? I don't have super deep pockets right now, so I'm looking for average quality phones, not $150 phones that can amplify an ant screaming :).

Is there anything I need to know about the XLT? Quirks? Tips? I've already read here a few different programs, but only one looked like it may work for me out here.
Thanks everyone!

Royal GT Headphone

Packed with features to help you hear those smaller, deeper targets. Right and left volume, 30-ohm Mylar stereo speakers with titanium coating, gold plated 1/4" right angle stereo plug.

P/N 401-0126-1
Price $49.95

Basic Headphone
Separate volume controls. Mono and stereo capability. 1/4" jack. Coiled cable.

P/N 401-2016
Price $24.95

My wife uses the Royal GT Headphones and my 10 year old daughter uses the Base Headphones. I’ve tried both and both work fine. The Royal GT’s have better sound quality, but all that matters is they allow you to hear signals and block out unwanted sound from your sounding and the Basic Headphone get the job done.

Both have stood up to two years of pretty hard use. My daughter’s Basic Headphones have see some less then idea care. Often left in the back of the truck and knock around pretty good, have been dropped and have even been stepped on they still work.

View Online At: http://whiteselectronics.com/products/accessories/headphones.html

Also check Amazon.com. My son picked up a set of Sony MDR-V250V Monitor Series Headphones with In-line Volume Control and they work great.

Price $20.49 with free shipping

View Online At: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V250V-Monitor-Headphones-Control/dp/B00001W0DC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249538197&sr=8-2

The XLT is a very good machine that I have used on and off over the years. I don't own one, but wouldn't mind having one. I've been seeing some really good deals on used XLT's at my local White's Dealers that are trade-ins. Would make a nice spare or an extra detector for family vacations and when hunting with guests.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the links to headphones and personal recommendations.
I'll be looking online and at my local White's dealer for some.
One of the things I overlooked in my purchase was the operating frequency. While it's not a big deal, I had been thinking about an MXT so that if I purchased any additional coils, they'd also work on a DFX (the machine I'd love to have). Since the XLT runs at 6.5KHZ, there isn't as much selection when it comes to coil choices. I guess time will tell, once I receive the unit, if I'll desire another coil. Sounds the stock one is pretty decent under the right settings.

Kellyco and Jimmysierra.com offer many choices for coils on the XLT's.... most of the coils for the XLT older models are also used on the 6000 and other eagle series detectors....

Back
Top Bottom