Etrac Shock

daddyflea

Every so often I sit down with my Etrac detectors and do some Air tests to check if every thing is working correctly. I was good until I hit some War nickles with a S mint Mark. You expect War Nickles to hit just a little higher maybe 12-14 or 12-15 but these all hit at 12-29 to 12-32. This means I have been missing one of my favorite coins, War Nickles. I usually start Discrimination at 12-33 up to cut Pull Tabs. I checked the P Mint marks and these all hit at 12-14. Pays to check but now I need to re-hunt a bunch of places.

Ok I'm the last 2 weeks I dug two Jefferson that were in the upper right quadrant. I use a slightly modded version of bills trashy park program. I have the 12 line opened up all the way across and they hit the first accepted area in the upper right. Both were shallow.

I scratched my head as well.

I have 2 war nickels that hit 12/37!! Maybe they are worth millions!!!!!

If you would please look on the back over the Dome and get the Mint Mark. Curious if maybe those are an S as well. Maybe the S which I believe stands for San Fransisco California put more Silver in them.

War nickels are 35% silver, that's why they ring up with higher conductivity.

War nickels are 35% silver, that's why they ring up with higher conductivity.

Correct but as someone else so eloquently put it, not way higher. I noticed that for some reason only my S mint marks rang up 12-29 to 12-30. The P did not hitting at usually 12-14

I have had 2 war nickels ring up like quarters(12/46) out in my dirt on my ctx. They get a super heavy Tar like crud built up on them and it is hard to get off..

I found one that looked just like the one shown. After cleaning it off it still rang in at 12-30

Well I got out my cleaned up war nickels, 3 rang up 12/43, 1 rang up 12/45:yes: 3 rang up 12/17, one rang up 12/25 and one rang up 12/15.. So it doesn't have anything to do with the crud, I figured that is why their readings were so far off.. And just to confirm the machine working perfectly I tested on other coins

Did a few buffalos all where 12/12
2 silver quarters rang up 12/47
2 clad quarters rang up 12/46

I should make a video for the nay sayers:lol:

I have had a few come in higher ,,closer to like a wheathead.

I suspect the silver in the war nickels is not mixed consistently,,,,making some read higher than others.

Btw,,,I could be wrong in saying this,,,,but this really only happens while using fbs, fbs2 detectors,,,,why???

The processing is that that good vs many others.

Cheers.

You post scared me! I would hate to pass a war nickel.
I just checked the CTX with 8 coins of various dates and mint marks. All came in from 12-13 to 12-15.

You post scared me! I would hate to pass a war nickel.
I just checked the CTX with 8 coins of various dates and mint marks. All came in from 12-13 to 12-15.

You are lucky because both my Etracs read the same and I got wide variations. Maybe it is just an Etrac thing?

Well I got out my cleaned up war nickels, 3 rang up 12/43, 1 rang up 12/45:yes: 3 rang up 12/17, one rang up 12/25 and one rang up 12/15.. So it doesn't have anything to do with the crud, I figured that is why their readings were so far off.. And just to confirm the machine working perfectly I tested on other coins

Did a few buffalos all where 12/12
2 silver quarters rang up 12/47
2 clad quarters rang up 12/46

I should make a video for the nay sayers:lol:

You are lucky because both my Etracs read the same and I got wide variations. Maybe it is just an Etrac thing?

No it is not just a etrac thing

Back
Top Bottom