MineLab Explorer Se Pro Help

SandMan1971

Hi,all my question is when i have my se pro in digital mode the fer & cond number's are not moving when i am on a target.It is hard to explain but it has number's for my fer & cond but i can move the coil back & forth over the target & the fer & cond number's won't read anything other then what they locked onto first until i move the coil off of the target then they change to what i think is right for the sound that i am getting.Let's say i hit a us clad dime the fer should be around 6 & the cond 25-28 just saying well the fer on a high tone will lock onto let's say fer 12 & cond 30 but when i move off of target it will say 6 & 28 which i think is right for the tone i am getting if you understand what i am asking.Is there a setting that i have off or what if you can help me with this anyone?

Thanks For Any Help!

Is it nulling over junk and not returning to a threshold tone? And when the tone returns you get a numerical value change? If so, then you're either swinging too fast (very common among new users), and/or the SENS is too high in manual mode, and/or the trash density is too high for the size coil that you have on.

Knowing how you set it up would go a long way toward helping you figure out what you need to change. Go through the menu selections and write down how everything is set.

Sounds like you're not giving it time to recover. What does it do if you move it off the target, pause, and then swing back over the target. The FBS machine VDI's can be slow to recover but the tones aren't too bad as far as recovery speed. Hunt by the tone and use the VDI for a second guess verification.

Is it nulling over junk and not returning to a threshold tone? And when the tone returns you get a numerical value change? If so, then you're either swinging too fast (very common among new users), and/or the SENS is too high in manual mode, and/or the trash density is too high for the size coil that you have on.

Knowing how you set it up would go a long way toward helping you figure out what you need to change. Go through the menu selections and write down how everything is set.

I am swinging very slow i would guess 5 to 6 second swing.It could be nulling if that is what you call it.It very well could be sens to high but i just go up until i get radical sound's then back it off a couple digit's until it goes smooth.I will get the setting & let you guy's know what they are.

Thanks For Input Guy's & Gal's

Thats just the way the se pro is . I can swing mine back and forth over a target for as long as i want and the screen will not update the numbers or crosshair position until i stop and let it recover. Its very iritating at first but after i ran the machine enough it didnt matter as i rarely use the screen unless pinpointing. If your really worried about what the number is just do the minelab wiggle and stop at one side or the other and it will update, its hard tho if theres other targets under the coil as when you stop it will show whichever target it read last. I was kind of suprised at how slow it showed on the screen for a 1200 dollar detector but i guess it doesnt matter when you just use the sound of the target

I got my setting's off net let me know if you have any program's that i can try thanks

DISPLAY CONTRAST - at 10

AUDIO VOLUME - Max Limit at 10

NOISE - at 5 (if interference from the power lines, other metal detectors, etc. is absent)

RESPONSE - Audio 1

RECOVERY: FAST - OFF and DEEP - ON

GAIN - at 8 (even a deep target produces a loud signal) - Sometimes I lower the Gain level down to 7 when the junk concentration is high.

TH (threshold) TONE - at 5 (on Explorer XS) and 8 (on Explorer II)

VARIABILITY - at 10

LIMITS - at 10

SOUNDS - on FERROUS (medium size ferrous targets do not respond with a high pitched tone as if of silver)

I just adjust sens to what is stable!

unless your hunting in a field covered in iron and nails, or you want every little piece of foil to sound amazing like a silver coin then i would switch to conductive sounds. Ferous has its uses but for general hunting, including old schools, parks and yards i would highly recomend conductive unless you have a spot in one of the above areas that is just loaded with iron or nails. In that case you can switch to ferous sounds but you need to open the screen all the way up to all metal and just listen to every target and listen for the better higher pitched targets mixed in, I use this occasionly on a nail infested old homestead type site where im in a total null for long periods of time, similar to a ttf type program on an etrac other then you still have a wide range of tones vs. 2 tones on the etrac. But the idea is the same, that a machine with no descrimintaion will recover faster and keep from masking other targets quite as bad, basically your ears become the discriminator. Go slow and listen. I would not recomend doing this til you understand your machine better

I would also turn DEEP off, and maybe try running the SENS on auto between 26 & 30.
Bryce Brown swears by auto 26 where he hunts, and I like auto 30 a lot of places that I go. But either way, you should run in auto until you learn how stable and quick the machine wants to run, and then if you want to try running hotter you'll know better what you can tolerate in terms of slowed recovery.

And investing in a smaller coil would be a good move too, if you're hunting trashy sites.

unless your hunting in a field covered in iron and nails, or you want every little piece of foil to sound amazing like a silver coin then i would switch to conductive sounds. Ferous has its uses but for general hunting, including old schools, parks and yards i would highly recomend conductive unless you have a spot in one of the above areas that is just loaded with iron or nails. In that case you can switch to ferous sounds but you need to open the screen all the way up to all metal and just listen to every target and listen for the better higher pitched targets mixed in, I use this occasionly on a nail infested old homestead type site where im in a total null for long periods of time, similar to a ttf type program on an etrac other then you still have a wide range of tones vs. 2 tones on the etrac. But the idea is the same, that a machine with no descrimintaion will recover faster and keep from masking other targets quite as bad, basically your ears become the discriminator. Go slow and listen. I would not recomend doing this til you understand your machine better

Thanks for any help & yes i will try this out.I was hunting a spot yesterday & the machine was hitting high tone's all over the place i dug junk all day & was very upset but didn't know what to change on the machine.It was probably because of ferous & i didn't know.I had a good program that i was finding some good coin's with & someway i deleted it & now can't find were i got it from online.But anyway i will give this a try & i am going to learn this machine what every it take's:)

Thanks For All Help!
John

Coins will register most of the time as soon as the tone stops. If the tone stops, and threshold is still not there for another inch or so, and then you get threshold and a number, most times I have found this to be cans or aluminum or the such. Even a coin in trash, when swung slow will give a coin tone, immediate threshold, even if brief, then a junk tone or nulling. This is not an exact thing, but for at least 80 percent of the time, this holds true for me, and I have dug lots of junk verifying it. Hope it helps.

Coins will register most of the time as soon as the tone stops. If the tone stops, and threshold is still not there for another inch or so, and then you get threshold and a number, most times I have found this to be cans or aluminum or the such. Even a coin in trash, when swung slow will give a coin tone, immediate threshold, even if brief, then a junk tone or nulling. This is not an exact thing, but for at least 80 percent of the time, this holds true for me, and I have dug lots of junk verifying it. Hope it helps.

Tks robo & i need all the advice i can get tks")

Tks robo & i need all the advice i can get tks")

You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you'll leave the machine in the factory pre-set and use the smart screen to learn the machine and it will take quite a few hours of use .....explorer is not a turn on and go machine....takes a lot of time and patience...

I have my explorer se set up the same as you have yours set up and I'm finding many silver coins and jewelry. I'm wondering if your site has emf problems.

I set my detector up on deep the gain at 10 so deep signals are loud at sites that are not trashy. I set it up at 8 on trashy sites and turn of deep.

You know some sites you have to dig those low signals to find silver. Removing large iron and other trash will expose treasure. I do it everyday.

When you are over a target lets say 28-0 29-0 you know it is going to be a keeper. Turn 90 hit it again. Dig it. Sometimes the explorer will recover by swinging slow over the object several times. Ive has targets go from 10-25 to 0-28 by staying over the object and letting the detector figure it out. Sometimes there is junk over the target. Go slow this is not a race. I swing over a deep target 10-20 times before I dig.

Dig all signals at close to max depth. Sometime deep objects will read weird. I dug a merc that rang up 3-28. That for me will be a clad dime. At 8 + inches it was a silver dime. A silver dime will most times ring 2-27 2-28 or close.

The threshold is important I set it until I can really barely hear it. When it is to high the detector will tone on everything. Very important to turn it down.

Forget about the numbers. I have been using an Explorer basically since they came out, and will continue to for a long time having a new SE on the way right now, and all the screen will do is waste your time and have you out-think yourself into finding less. You'll probably also never really advance into knowing all the little tricks in the audio because you'll be too focus on what a 6-29 means, or whatever.

What you do focus on is the tone, how round the sound seems, and what might be the most important... whether a null nulls through a target or around one.

Explorer SE loop 10.5 DD or SEF 12x10

Hello All!

I wanted to know does the SEF coil get much more depth than the standard 10.5 for coin sized objects? If not then I will stay pat. I also wanted to know if there is less falsing with one loop over the other? I get falsing like everyone else and will check my coil to make sure I don't have junk stuck to it and I will make sure my cord is not loose as it can make the falsing sounds as well.

thanks in advance

PS I'm waiting for my Garrett pinpointer to come in the mail, cant wait to use it!

I found that the 10X12 SEF gives me 1-2" depth over the standard coil, in my Michigan dirt. It has recently developed a short circuit at the coil base (after four years) and shuts down my machines. Carp.

Make sure you remove the coil cover on occasion and keep it clean inside.
I dislike the design of Minelab coil leads that run up the center of the shaft. I believe it puts too much stress on the leads, as I change shafts/coil between machines often.

Thanks AMC this does help me and I will be careful and take off the coil cover from time to time. I will also buy the loop as I am still looking for my first Injun penny.

I meant to ask as well does the sef coil come with a loop cover as does the minelab standard coil?

oh ok thanks but I think I will stay with the stock coil because there is not that much more depth but I appreciate the info just the same.

Back
Top Bottom