How I repaired a White's Blue Max 600 Coil.

Stang1968

Elite Member
Place coil label side up on clean firm surface.
IMG_0345s.jpg

Mark the edge of the two halves in multiple places to assist in re-assembly.
IMG_0346s.jpg

Using a sharp knife, separate the two halves, breaking the glue.
IMG_0347s.jpg

Split the two halves and lay them side by side.
IMG_0348s.jpg

My coil's insides "wobbled" inside the housing, causing falsing at the end of every sweep. This was caused by compression on the white foam insides, crumpling the foam. I solved it by using cardboard shims to lock the coil in place again. You can use smaller but more numerous shims if you'd like to maintain dead center pinpointing, but i elected for simplicity- My pinpoint will now be just a smidgeon to the right of center.
IMG_0349s.jpg

Clean the dust off the black tape, and off the black painted insides of the bottom cover. I used my lungs to blow, but you could also use canned air.
IMG_0350s.jpg

Using the marks made earlier, line up the two halves and press together.
IMG_0351s.jpg

Use Rubbing alochol or acetone to clean the two surfaces that we'll need to reseal.
IMG_0352s.jpg

This also has the effect of removing the marks we made earlier.
IMG_0353s.jpg

I used Amazing Goop Plumbing sealant from Home Depot. I tried to find a sealant that dries hard, clear, and was water proof. Only apply the sealant after the alcohol or acetone has dried completely. You may want to wait an hour to allow for full evaporation- any residual moisture in the coil will wreak havoc on the electronics.
IMG_0354s.jpg

Using the applicator, lay a bead around the edge and allow to dry per manufacturer's specifications. I used a popsicle stick to clean up the bead some.
IMG_0355s.jpg

That's how I repaired my Blue Max 600 coil. This repair may also work for the Black Max 600 and the Bull's Eye 5.3.
IMG_0356s.jpg

Nicely done Stang!

I want to point out to others that the black "tape" and black paint inside the cover are actually a conductive tab and conductive paint respectively. Together, they form the electrostatic shield around the coil. This shield prevents falsing due to capacitive coupling, as when the coil touches wet grass, etc. It is important to not do anything that would affect the integrity of the paint or the connection of the conductive tab to it.

Nicely done Stang!

I want to point out to others that the black "tape" and black paint inside the cover are actually a conductive tab and conductive paint respectively. Together, they form the electrostatic shield around the coil. This shield prevents falsing due to capacitive coupling, as when the coil touches wet grass, etc. It is important to not do anything that would affect the integrity of the paint or the connection of the conductive tab to it.

I didn't point it out because I didn't know what it was... I just figured it was supposed to be clean, and that it was there for a reason. Thanks for explaining the reason as to why it's there :)

Cool I love DIY things I don't own a white's detector but still like to see people doing things for themselves instead of having someone else do it.

Much thanks for photo-documenting this repair and posting this online.

Confirm that it is working as best as before ;-)

Again, thank you for sharing

Confirm that it is working as best as before ;-)

Confirmed :).

I took it out today with my XLT that was just repaired in Sweet Home. The BM600 was impressive in its pinpoint ability. The depth gauge is a little off, but it "centers" right over the target. I also noticed the VDIs are close to but not the same as if I was using the Spectrum 950 coil. It also doesnt seem to have the depth of the Spectrum 950 coil, but it was able to separate a nickle next to a pull tab (solid +18) and a dime/penny/penny spill just under the grass.

I'll be playing with this coil in trashy conditions quite a bit I think.

I drilled mine out and have used it on my DFX but only at the 3khz frequency, it works pretty good except the VDI numbers are off. I also have an old 24" coil that will also work but again only at 3khz.
:lol: I use a back hoe to carry it around.

Yah the BM600 was designed to run at 6.59KHZ i think.

On my XLT it's a pretty concise coil. It's deadly accurate in pinpointing :).

Back
Top Bottom