Big Silver in a Makeup Case

skyblast

Well it took ten years but I finally, finally found a silver dollar! Inside a metal Avon makeup case was a 1921 Morgan silver dollar along with a 1953s nickel. It was found about three inches down in parking strip in an old Seattle neighborhood. The idea of finding both of them in a makeup case is very fascinating to me. My first thought was that someone planted it there like a time capsule but the fact that it came with a nickel makes me think maybe not? Anyway just wanted to share. Hope you all enjoy.

Attachments

• grass 1.jpg
    grass 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 870
  • grass close 2.jpg
    grass close 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 876
  • case close.jpg
    case close.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 818
  • kitchen spread out 1.jpg
    kitchen spread out 1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 892
  • kitchen back.jpg
    kitchen back.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 908
  • close desk.jpg
    close desk.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 864
  • desk all.jpg
    desk all.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 842
  • desk all back.jpg
    desk all back.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
When I first found it I was puzzled by how heavy it was. I figured it was only heavy from dirt...like they always are.

Last edited:
What an outstanding recovery! Finding that pristine silver dollar in the makeup compact must be quite a memorable experience for you. :grin:

Excellent post. Excellent pix. I love the inclusion of the terrain pix of the parking strip. To give the viewer a sense of the location.

I would classify this as a coin-purse type of find. There were still morgans circulating in the 1950s (heck, up to 1964 in gambling hubs like Reno and Las vegas). So it's entirely conceivable that this was simply someone's change-purse container. Good story. Thanx for sharing.

Well it took ten years but I finally, finally found a silver dollar! Inside a metal Avon makeup case was a 1921 Morgan silver dollar along with a 1953s nickel. It was found about three inches down in parking strip in an old Seattle neighborhood. The idea of finding both of them in a makeup case is very fascinating to me. My first thought was that someone planted it there like a time capsule but the fact that it came with a nickel makes me think maybe not? Anyway just wanted to share. Hope you all enjoy.

Give yourself some credit! That's a mind blowin' eye poppin' find!

I'd overlook that strip. I'd think "utility work, scraped, filled, nothing old, and plenty of bottle caps". I wouldn't believe a Morgan was a few inches deep....

Attachments

• yoda.jpg
    yoda.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 747
Excellent post. Excellent pix. I love the inclusion of the terrain pix of the parking strip. To give the viewer a sense of the location.

I would classify this as a coin-purse type of find. There were still morgans circulating in the 1950s (heck, up to 1964 in gambling hubs like Reno and Las vegas). So it's entirely conceivable that this was simply someone's change-purse container. Good story. Thanx for sharing.

Born in 74 it's really difficult for me to comprehend what a silver dollar would do for someone in say...1955? I did a little bit of research. Apparently a beer cost .67 cents, a movie ticket .49 cents, fries .10 cents, and a burger .15 cents. I guess a silver dollar would give you a night out. At least a cab ride home.

Crazy to think that someone would hand over a beautiful silver dollar for a milk shake but then again maybe you'd get back a beautiful walking liberty.

Ok, I managed to get it all the way open without damaging the compact. It now opens and closes smoothly. It's much easier to see that someone was clearly using it as a case to carry coins. It appears that the makeup was long gone before coins were placed inside.

Basically this was the equivalent to a 1950's smartphone. Use the mirror to see how you look (take a selfie), and pull out a coin to pay for something (apple pay).

Attachments

• flat open.jpg
    flat open.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 635
  • close closed.jpg
    close closed.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 654
  • close open lift.jpg
    close open lift.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:

One heck of a story, if we could just get a lens to the past, eh?

Gotta wonder if it was a drop or a kid's treasure hunt that went awry. LOL

Very VERY cool find! I would have been over-the-moon.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom