Why NOT to order an AT Max?

MichiDigger

I've been out of the hobby for a while (10 years?) and have pretty much decided on ordering an AT Max. I've done a ton of research. Videos, forums, Facebook, reviews...

For those of you that actually own an AT Max, are there any reasons you think that someone should NOT get an AT Max?

Thanks in advance for any input and happy hunting!

I'm a Pro user, but I think they are close enough for me to put my 2 cents in.

Everyone I know in Michigan that can go to Florida for the winter goes to Florida for the winter. The ones that can't go the whole winter go for at least a week. The Max is supposed to be better than the pro in salt water and wet sand, but I don't think either one of them are the best machine for salt water beaches.

The Max is just a upgraded "old science" ATpro. There are current machines that are new science and will easily out perform the Max. Do your shopping and look at Minelab and others with multi freq. and such. I think you will be much happier and the cost is in the same range.

No reason not to buy a at max.. If thats the machine that your leaning towards then you've made a great choice.
I figured somone would say get a nox sooner or later..And it is a good machine, same performance in my soil here in western PA as the at max..But, just for giggles I can't remember the last time I saw a at max for sale used on any of these 5 forums I frequent.. Used equinox machines are a weekly occorunce being posted..That in itself would lean me towards a At max

I'm a Pro user, but I think they are close enough for me to put my 2 cents in.

Everyone I know in Michigan that can go to Florida for the winter goes to Florida for the winter. The ones that can't go the whole winter go for at least a week. The Max is supposed to be better than the pro in salt water and wet sand, but I don't think either one of them are the best machine for salt water beaches.

I’ve heard similar. I’m one of the rare ones that DOESN’T go to Florida (although now would be a great time - lol). Thanks!

The Max is just a upgraded "old science" ATpro. There are current machines that are new science and will easily out perform the Max. Do your shopping and look at Minelab and others with multi freq. and such. I think you will be much happier and the cost is in the same range.

Had considered a multi-frequency machine as I previously owned a Minelab Sovereign. The Nox 600 is in the same range but I definitely want wireless and to upgrade the 600 requires the module that adds a couple hundred. The 800 comes with wireless but, again, it bumps price. People find amazing things with both the AT Pro and Max, so I’m not questioning performance.

No reason not to buy a at max.. If thats the machine that your leaning towards then you've made a great choice.
I figured somone would say get a nox sooner or later..And it is a good machine, same performance in my soil here in western PA as the at max..But, just for giggles I can't remember the last time I saw a at max for sale used on any of these 5 forums I frequent.. Used equinox machines are a weekly occorunce being posted..That in itself would lean me towards a At max

I’ve noticed the same. People sell machines all the time but it is instructive to gage which are being sold most frequently as it may indicate that they are unhappy for some reason (performance, learning curve too steep, etc.). Something I learned in photography is that who is behind the camera makes far more difference than the camera itself. I believe the same principal applies to detecting. Thanks!

Had considered a multi-frequency machine as I previously owned a Minelab Sovereign. The Nox 600 is in the same range but I definitely want wireless and to upgrade the 600 requires the module that adds a couple hundred. The 800 comes with wireless but, again, it bumps price. People find amazing things with both the AT Pro and Max, so I’m not questioning performance.

I currently have the Sovereign with small coil and the Pro and would still be using the old Minelab if it didn't have so much weight. The Pro with a small coil works well but nothing like my old trusty sovereign. I have a disability and weight is very important to me.

The Nox 600 is in the same range but I definitely want wireless and to upgrade the 600 requires the module that adds a couple hundred.

Everything is built into the Nox 600. You just need to buy the low latency headphones. There are people paying under 50 dollars for them. The W08 module is only used if you have a need or desire to use a particular pair of corded headphones, or want to have multiple modules/headphones paired to the same detector at the same time.

Everything is built into the Nox 600. You just need to buy the low latency headphones. There are people paying under 50 dollars for them. The W08 module is only used if you have a need or desire to use a particular pair of corded headphones, or want to have multiple modules/headphones paired to the same detector at the same time.

Wait a minute... You don't need the module to use the Minelab wireless headphones with a Nox 600 or 800?! In other words, it operates like the AT Max setup in that, as you said, 'everything is built in'?

You don't need a module. You just need to buy a pair of APT-X Low Latency headphones of your choice, and there are cheaper options than the Minelab branded headphones. I'm an earbud fan and I use Samsung Level U Pro, but there are a lot of other choices out there.

Well that may change things. I hadn't considered a Nox 600 (instead of an AT Max) because I thought you had to have that module to hunt wirelessly! That's $250 bucks I don't have to worry about. Hmmm....

I've been eyeing the Simplex and want to add that for the base $250 it has built in wireless, however it only works with Nokta headphones and not generic aptX low latency Bluetooth headphones.

Just something else to consider.

Well that may change things. I hadn't considered a Nox 600 (instead of an AT Max) because I thought you had to have that module to hunt wirelessly! That's $250 bucks I don't have to worry about. Hmmm....

Correct. The 800 and 600 both have built in bluetooth. The 800 comes with the wireless headphones, as well as a wireless module to use their own preferred pair of wired headphones wirelessly. The wireless module has lower latency than the bluetooth, but low latency bluetooth already has an imperceptible delay.

A lot of people don't seem to have a need for the module and there are a bunch of them like new and never used on Ebay for under 100 bucks. People who bought an 800 and are trying to recoup part of the cost, I assume.

If you're going to do a lot of bushwacking through the woods and/or setting the detector down on uneven surfaces like creekbeds, then I think the AT form factor is better. The NOX is easy to knock over due to the screen jutting up and making it top heavy. That's not an issue at all at parks and yards. For the same reason, compared to the AT models the Nox catches easier on branches and vines while walking through thick woods. I'm far more aware of protecting the Nox than I am an AT. But, what you get with that large exposed screen is visibility and readability. Just more to think about.

As ChrisMD stated, the suggested sell price of the AT Max is $722. I bought one back in November and the "real" sell price was in fact in the low 600's. BUT.....included in the price was a FREE Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer which retails around $145 or so. With that, it could be said that the AT Max cost me $485 which is not that expensive for a quality detector.

Correct. The 800 and 600 both have built in bluetooth. The 800 comes with the wireless headphones, as well as a wireless module to use their own preferred pair of wired headphones wirelessly. The wireless module has lower latency than the bluetooth, but low latency bluetooth already has an imperceptible delay.

A lot of people don't seem to have a need for the module and there are a bunch of them like new and never used on Ebay for under 100 bucks. People who bought an 800 and are trying to recoup part of the cost, I assume.

To be clear - if I use the Minelab wireless headphones, the module is NOT needed but if I want to use a different brand then I’d need the module?

As ChrisMD stated, the suggested sell price of the AT Max is $722. I bought one back in November and the "real" sell price was in fact in the low 600's. BUT.....included in the price was a FREE Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer which retails around $145 or so. With that, it could be said that the AT Max cost me $485 which is not that expensive for a quality detector.

What is your personal impression of the AT Max or have you had much chance to get out with it yet?

I've been eyeing the Simplex and want to add that for the base $250 it has built in wireless, however it only works with Nokta headphones and not generic aptX low latency Bluetooth headphones.

Just something else to consider.

Yeah. Looks pretty tempting - especially at that price!

Back
Top Bottom