Greetings from Eastern Mass!

Khez

Greetings to all, my name is Joe. I found this site while trying to look for a metal detector. I started to buy old silver coins and figured I'd like to try my hand at actually getting out there to possibly unearth some buried treasure! Any & all help is appreciated. Still need to buy a detector as well. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum Joe! You should fit right in here! We like Silver coins and all sorts of metallic objects! Just jump right on in with questions and thoughts...get to know a few Members to follow that you want to emulate then pattern their successful habits...Post us some pictures! We like pictures!

Good morning from Ohio. While I'm new to detecting too I can tell you that if you are looking for a general detector that does well in multiple situations and not a gold specific detector there are a couple schools of though.

The first school is to get an entry level machine like a Garrett Ace 300 or 400, one of the Fisher entry', models, or even a better Bounty Hunter. Or if you don't mind waiting you can pre order the Nokta Makro Simplex+ which is looking like it's gonna be awesome and comes out any day.

The other school is that if you really want to enjoy the hobby you should wait to save up for a mid range like the Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro/Max, etc.

Ultimately it's up to you though although most people will tell you to stay away from bargain bin detectors if you can.

Welcome from the central part of the state! Plenty of goods around here, and living closer to the shore ups your chances at gold for sure. Good luck out there!

Thank you for the warm receptions! I'm going to start a thread in the other section for relative purposes.

Welcome from Boston, Joe. I'm actually closer to Dedham than Boston proper.

If you'll be looking for advice and tips, may I suggest that you drop in on my club's annual Open Hunt NEXT Sunday, October 20th at Houghton Pond in the Blue Hills, just off Route 128.

Here's a couple of links:

First to our club's web site Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association www.masstreasure.com (we meet monthly in Newton Highlands - next meeting is this Friday, Oct 18th - guests always welcome)

Next is a link to our Open Hunt update and announcement on this forum. Several of this forum's members will be attending the hunt. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=276655 You'll get to chat and ask questions of a lot of regional detectorists at the hunt, even if you don't have a detector and haven't registered for the hunt. It's a fun day.

Again, welcome to the forum !

Jim

Welcome to the forum Joe! I’m in the eastern part of the state as well (North Reading) Good luck with your detector purchase and hope to see you posting some great finds soon!

Alrighty then, time to play catch up. Allow me answer some of you in the order that I see:

To Mud-Puppy: The only "finds" I have gotten so far, is whatever wasn't able to go through cash machines. Which has resulted in about a few silver halves, several quarters, and about a tubes worth of dimes.

To Hordfest: I appreciate the input, I've created that topic in the appropriate section.

To cellrdwellr: While I'd be happy enough to find some silver, anything gold/jewelry/relics, whathaveyou, would be a wonderful bonus.

To Jim: I thank you for the offer, the thing is, I work the graveyard. I'm usually working about 50 hours a week. What window of time I have is basically mornings to early afternoons as I get what rest I can about 2-3 PM.

To Beachscanner: I'm right along the Everett/Malden line.

To everyone again, thank you for the welcomes!

Back
Top Bottom