Best metal detector for Finding Gold Coins?

Hello & welcome..You might try one of these..:cool:

bksvl-1.jpg

"Just kidding, I don't know of any detector like your looking for..I wish you good luck in your quest."

I want one of those! :cool:

I dug my gold coin with a $200 radio shack machine, but folks can spend whatever amount they want to.

I think some of the cheaper detectors are as good as the expensive ones. I used to have a Whites Gold Master GMT and now I have a Ace 250. I have found more with the 250 then the GMT. Although the GMT is a specialty detector for finding gold nuggets, but I never found any gold nuggets with it. Whites does make really good detectors though.

tO be quite honest, your goal of locating only gold coin and nothing else, especially at depths over 1 foot on a single coin is just plain unrealistic. The gpx4500 will pick up a large almost 1 ounce nugget to almost 2 feet for a price tag of $4000. There is no metal detector made today that can truly factually locate 1 coin deeper then 2 feet. Some detectors can locate a coffee can sized cache at almost 4 feet but that's even a stretch. The pro treasure hunters who locate caches do it with ground penetrating radar and gradiometers to locate ferrous materials known to be in connection with buried treasures. They also get very lucky and utilize years and years of research before even attempting a dig. You basically have to solve the mystery connected to the buried cache and locate it's exact spot before attempting to grab a shovel and dig it out. I'm not saying you won't find why you're looking for, just trying to put this treasure hunt into perspective and try to emphasize that you won't be able to just spend a little bit of cash and expect to start raking in the gold coins. Also remember that people have been metal detecting and treasure hunting for over 50 years and most easily located treasures and caches have been found.

Again, I'm just trying to get a handle on what kind of technology is out there and at what price. I appreciate everyone taking their time to share their knowledge with me on this subject. In regards to the thread directly above this one you wrote, "Some detectors can locate a coffee can sized gold cache at almost 4 feet, but even that's a stretch." Do you or does anyone have the NAME of a detector that has this kind of capability, and how much does a detector like this cost? I'd rather pay more for a detector that will not pass over a coffee can sized gold cache that is buried 4 feet deep. It is becoming clear to me that this kind of technology is not common place so I'm trying to pinpoint the NAMES of these machines down. I don't find hunting for snipers in the flat and open desert with a shotgun to be advisable, some people do. I like having the right tools first and the rest is left up to the individual's capabilities, opportunities, preparedness and oh yeah, patience.

Garrett GTI 2500 Pro Metal Detector with Eagle Eye Treasure Hound

Treasure Hound Depth Multiplier with EagleEyeT Pinpointing Goes 15'-18' to 20 Plus feet deep. Made exclusively to be used with the GTI 2500 Metal Detector. By itself - List Price: $249.95

Names of the best Gold Metal Detecting Machines

Alright, so far the Garrett 2500 looks like the front runner in my price range. Thanks to everyone for their help!

This coin was over a foot deep. The signal blew my ears off. Whites MXT. It's a Henry VI Noble, weights 8 grams and is just over one inch diameter.

Attachments

• Henry VI Gold Noble.jpg
    Henry VI Gold Noble.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,587
That's a beautiful coin above!

Does anyone care to share their thoughts on the Garrett Infinim LS versus the Garrett 2500. I like the flexibility that the Garrett Infinium offers (underwater capabilities) but when it comes to looking for gold coins, is it the better machine? I just saw a short video on Youtube where a guy claimed the Garrett Infinium LS picked up a gold nugget buried at a depth of 3 feet.
The Garrett Infinium LS will keep me well below my budget of $1,500 if it's the right machine.

Personally I'd go with a Whites product because of their tremendous service and info Dept. The MXT and the DFX are great machines and the latest V3 is really impressive. Just my opinion.

Greenbean

My 1st metal detector purchase.

I've purchased a Minelab Excalibur 2, I'm 35 minutes from the treasure coast of Florida and I like it's underwater capabilities. I hope it ends up paying for itself, we'll see. Eventually, I would like to pick up a Minelab GPX 4500 for use on the mainland, it seems to be able look deep underground for gold. I wanted something that would give me the opportunity to locate a cache, at least 4 feet deep. I've heard too many conflicting statements about the capabilities of other machines I was interested in. I was told that the Garrett 2500, with the right depth finder coil, could find a gold cache up to 15ft. deep underground. Has anyone seen proof of this claim? It would sure be great to pay only $1,000 for a land machine with great depth capabilities in searching for gold, than to pay $4,500 for the Minelab GPX 4500. Thanks to everyone for giving a complete stranger your time and advice, it was extremely helpful!

Back
Top Bottom