1st post need help with purchase

.222 ND

Looking for help in making a purchase on a detector. I live in the northern plains and will primarily be searching for coins on old abandoned country school sites and abandoned farmsteads. I currently have a whites 2000d that I have had since I was a kid 30+ years ago(it’s not great). I haven’t ever done much serious detecting and now my kids are old enough to take interest in this activity, so we’ll probably be going out to get some exercise and find treasures. I don’t want to spend more than I need to, but also want to get what makes sense. I would like recommendations on 2 detectors. Best detector under 600 and best detector under 1200. My youngest kid received a 45 dollar detector as Christmas present and has really been fired up to get out and test it. Things finally melted and dried out, so we went out for the first time yesterday and found a bunch of nails and other trash. We were searching a farmstead that has been uninhabited since 1930. We also found a pretty neat piece off a cast iron stove that had very legible stamping on it. It read “prize Bismarck no9” burdett smith co. Troy Chicago. Thanks for any recommendations

Are you thinking of buying one for your kids too and how old are they?

If you like Whites, the MX7 is a really good detector for under 600. It would be too heavy for your kids more than likely. They don't currently make a kids detector that I would recommend and for some reason their Treasure series detectors only have a two piece shaft????

Garrett makes really good detectors too for adults and kids with the Garrett AT Series and the Ace series.

First Texas makes really good detectors too, Fisher F75, F19, Teknetics G2+, Teknetics T2, and lighter weight F11, F22, F44 and the Teknetics Ameritek Minuteman can all be adjusted to fit smaller kids since they have three piece shafts. Some of the Bounty Hunter models are pretty good too especially your kids, like the Land Ranger Pro, Tracker IV, Platinum and even the Discovery 3300.

Then there are the Turkish detectors like the Makro Racer 2, Nokta Makro Kruzer, Nokta Makro Anfibio and the new Simplex.

And there are the Aussie/Malaysian Minelab X Terra series which can be adjusted for kids by taking out one of the shafts in the 3 piece shaft system, the Equinox 600 and 800 and the new Vanquish models which can be adjusted for use by absolutely anyone.

The French XP Deus and XP ORX can be swung by anyone since they are so lightweight. Learning how to use them is a completely different story. They are not easy.

All of these detectors can be purchased new for way less than $1200 except for some bundles of the XP Deus. Most can be purchased new for less than $600 or even $400
Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a good detector for myself for under 600 that will sort threw the trash and primarily locate silver and copper. I also have a friend with deeper pockets that is looking for a detector in the 1200 range or more, if it is actually better. These detectors will both be used in scenarios described in the above post. Main objective is discerning coins from all the trash encountered on a farmstead.

I love my AT Pro. Works great. I use large stock coil in fields, 5 x 8 in parks and yards.

Have an Equinox 600. Have to put some more time into it before I make up my mind on it.

Back
Top Bottom