• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Deep coin detector

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked many times here in the past but here it is again.... Very simply, What is the best detector out there for under $2000 for finding DEEP coins? I'm planning on buying a upper end detector around x-mass but I want to make sure I find out all I can before I make the plunge. I've been thinking about an E trac. I want to find coins well beyond the depth I'm finding with my current machines. So, any advice??

I can ID a silver dollar at 14+ inches with square nails around it. You cannot find a more user adjustable detector than the v3i. Make your self a test bed and put the big coins down at 18". I am going to need to bring in topsoil to bring my depth up:yes:

Dont let all the adjustments scare you, it is all there to maximize depth, and accurate target identification. There is a reason competing companies are suing Whites over the v3i:yes:

My E-Trac is no better at telling a gold ring from a pulltab than the DeLeon I just gave away was.

OT

Wait a minute....do you have any more to give away? I'll be more than happy with a Silver Umax or a Compadre even!!! Man, I'd even pay shipping! :D

do you have to keep adjusting your sensintivity knob all the time??? that's the difference and have automatic ground control for different ground conditions....that's the difference and do you get to really discriminate any objects or all.........that's the difference........not - bing...bing...bing...bing... owe that has to be metal!! that's why you have to pay more for a quality detector!! :lol::lol::lol:

Wow, what a great post. I really enjoy the exchanges between the veterans because so much is to be gleaned from so much experience from many years and many machines. I for one (and expect there are many others here) absorb as much info as I can when the masters speak. Thanks John for asking a great question and thank you guys for sharing the knowledge. It is impressive to read the differing opinions given and taken in a gentleman like manner. HH

Wow, what a great post. I really enjoy the exchanges between the veterans because so much is to be gleaned from so much experience from many years and many machines. I for one (and expect there are many others here) absorb as much info as I can when the masters speak. Thanks John for asking a great question and thank you guys for sharing the knowledge. It is impressive to read the differing opinions given and taken in a gentleman like manner. HH

Exactly my reason for posting that question. This is a great forum with lots of knowlegable people and differing opinions. I've been detecting for almost thirty years now but still like to hear others share their experiences, ideas, and opinions.

Word to the Wise

Tesoro Cibola. And I own an E-Trac.

Beat you to it, Skiwhiz.

Old Town

Try a Fisher 1266x that has been tuned up (sensitivity increased by a knowledgeable technician) with the stock 'spider coil' on for size and see what you think. I had one and it would still run rings I'm convinced around many if not most of these modern 'gee-whiz' computerized metal detectors even now. Also, everybody likes to talk about the deepest detector. Remember though, a BIG part of your success has to do with your operator skill. Get an ultra-deep 1200.00 detector and swing it fast and like a pendulum (as on some of those Youtube videos) AND 5 or 6" above the ground and you're GUARANTEED to lose 6" of depth. What a pointless waste of money. I can tell you with experience, I can go right behind someone using a 1200.00 detector, with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (not a bad little machine by the way) and mop up a major coin haul because he hasn't taken the time to learn how to properly a;tune the machine, b;swing the coil, c;lower his coil, d;slow down, e;search in a grid pattern. And not to mention last but not least, improper digging technique and the wrong tools which destroys the reputation of the hobby for everyone in the future who might want to get into this hobby. So don't think expensive equals more successful, etc. That's one of the BIGGEST MYTHS in metal detecting. It does not take an expensive detector to get the job done. Been coinhunting for 25 years. Have owned a Fisher 1225x, 1265x, 1266x, 1260x(now), Bounty Hunter Tracker IV(now), along with appx. 20 other vintage (1965-1988) detectors, Whites, Garrett, Wilson-Neuman, Treasure Sensor, Sears Whites, Gardiner, Paris Detector Corp., Jetco, etc.

What were the coil sizes on the machines when you did the depth comparisons? Does coil size make a difference with these detectors?

What were the coil sizes on the machines when you did the depth comparisons? Does coil size make a difference with these detectors?

Would also like to know the coil sizes used on the 4 detector test. And yes coil size makes a huge difference. I air tested the Vaquero with stock coil and then the larger 12x10" and the 12x10 got at least 2-3 more inches of depth.

It's been several years but I remember the Vaquero winning over the etrac in an air test, but I haven't tested it in ground. I'm able to accurately ID silver dimes in the 9-10" range all the time with the etrac which I'm not sure is possible with the Tesoros. I guess if I had several thousand hours on a Tesoro maybe I could :roll:

i run The

F75se, Etrac, and new to the V3i, I think experience, coil selection, tweaking, settings , conditions all play a part in getting Max depth John, I see your machines you run are similar, What machines did you run on your England trip ? and would you take that machine, or a different machine for the conditions over their next time around ?

F75se, Etrac, and new to the V3i, I think experience, coil selection, tweaking, settings , conditions all play a part in getting Max depth John, I see your machines you run are similar, What machines did you run on your England trip ? and would you take that machine, or a different machine for the conditions over their next time around ?

Great info indeed! I just posted a video today about how to find super deep silver coins and I mentioned all 3 of those detectors lol

Testing a machine before you buy it

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked many times here in the past but here it is again.... Very simply, What is the best detector out there for under $2000 for finding DEEP coins? I'm planning on buying a upper end detector around x-mass but I want to make sure I find out all I can before I make the plunge. I've been thinking about an E trac. I want to find coins well beyond the depth I'm finding with my current machines. So, any advice??

John not sure if you have bought a MD for deep coins yet . I noticed you lived in Boston, I am 25 min south in Rockland.

If you came to my shop i would let you field test any MD to get a better hands on look, to see what it can do for your treasure needs. I have 26 demos in the store Whites, Minelab, Fisher Garrett, Bounty Hunter , ect

If you came to my shop i would let you field test any MD to get a better hands on look, to see what it can do for your treasure needs. I have 26 demos in the store Whites, Minelab, Fisher Garrett, Bounty Hunter , ect

There ya go John! Best advice yet. Although we can suggest a good detector based on our own experience and likes, what works for you may be totally different. Hands on can help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom