Now I know what a Civil War Token is!!

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Spent the first part of my day re-digging a one room schoolhouse with the hope that the rain would make some new targets pop...nope.

Went to a field I've hit before that had an old home site (no one can remember a house there, but it's on the plat from 1874). I found a token which was very cool and then found an eagle button....the button is smashed but it's awesome just the way it is; I'm pretty sure that it's civil war era.

Didn't realize HOW cool the token was until I got home and searched it on the great and powerful Google. First of all, what looked like 1868 was actually 1863...and it's a civil war token, and pretty rare!

For those of you (like me) who are unfamiliar with civil war tokens, it seems that, due to the scarcity of cents and half cents during the war, tokens were made to be used as currency. Some were patriotic, and some businesses who had the ability to stamp these tokens put their info on the reverse. Mine is that, its from a dentist (E. Hause of Tecumseh, Michigan...)

So....very rare finds for Michigan! A Scovill Mfg. eagle button and a civil war token on the same day!!!

(Edit - figured I'd better add a couple better photos since I made the featured threads :D)

Attachments

• KIMG0447.jpg
    KIMG0447.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 531
  • KIMG0448.jpg
    KIMG0448.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 475
  • KIMG0449.jpg
    KIMG0449.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 517
  • KIMG0450.jpg
    KIMG0450.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 482
  • KIMG0452.jpg
    KIMG0452.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 470
  • KIMG0453.jpg
    KIMG0453.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCN0200 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0200 (1024x768).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN0201 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0201 (1024x768).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Congrats on two great civil war relics! That token is probably worth a few coins. Nice!

Congrats on the finds, like the token. I have found a handful over the yrs, , but that's one I haven't got. nice

That’s a helluva find right there,VERY hard to barf those up in these parts too(WI). I’d be SPANKING that place HARD! Nice work!

Spent the first part of my day re-digging a one room schoolhouse with the hope that the rain would make some new targets pop...nope.

Went to a field I've hit before that had an old home site (no one can remember a house there, but it's on the plat from 1874). I found a token which was very cool and then found an eagle button....the button is smashed but it's awesome just the way it is; I'm pretty sure that it's civil war era.

Didn't realize HOW cool the token was until I got home and searched it on the great and powerful Google. First of all, what looked like 1868 was actually 1863...and it's a civil war token, and pretty rare!

For those of you (like me) who are unfamiliar with civil war tokens, it seems that, due to the scarcity of cents and half cents during the war, tokens were made to be used as currency. Some were patriotic, and some businesses who had the ability to stamp these tokens put their info on the reverse. Mine is that, its from a dentist (E. Hause of Tecumseh, Michigan...)

So....very rare finds for Michigan! A Scovill Mfg. eagle button and a civil war token on the same day!!!

I try to learn something new everyday. That came early today! Beautiful finds! Congrats.

I have several CW tokens, but none for a Dentist. Good find!

I do have one for a funeral home or coffin dealer, though.

-- Tom

Very nice token, Old home sites long gone and adjacent fields often produce some cool finds.

And the best part? they're closer than you might think. CONGRATS!!

Back
Top Bottom