Back from vacation - Large Cent, Shield Nickel, Seated..

MarcS

Hi all!
back home from my two week vacation in Michigan, and it was a really good one.
My brother in law and I got permission to hunt an old farm house built in the late 1800s, and I'm sure that it has never been hit before. Besides the about 90 wheaties that we picked up, I scored a nice 1853 Large Cent, an 1882 Shield Nickel, an 1877 seated dime, 4 V-Nickels, 1 Buffalo, 4 Indians, 1935 Quarter, a Rosie, one Merc, and 2 War Nickels. Couple other neat things I found were a 1931 dog tag, 18K ring, Civil war navy button, and some other old junk rings (mostly plated)
This was definitely my best month ever, since you don't really find Large Cents and Shield Nickels here in Utah.
Thanks for watching, and enjoy the pics!

Marc

Attachments

• _MG_1601.jpg
    _MG_1601.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 343
  • _MG_1603.jpg
    _MG_1603.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 337
  • _MG_1606.jpg
    _MG_1606.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 333
  • _MG_1609.jpg
    _MG_1609.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 338
  • _MG_1610.jpg
    _MG_1610.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 339
That largie is in great shape... AMAZING hunt!!!! :wow::wow::wow:

Thanks, it's the first one I've ever found. However, it came with a price.. The property owner is an 89 year old man who owns about 500 acres of cherry farms in this area. I first met him a few years ago (we're going there on vacation every other year), and I had no idea he owned the house until now. Anyways, as I visited him at his house to thank him, I got invited to join him in the sauna (arrghh!). He pretty much didn't take no for an answer, so I took one for the team and secured detecting permission for all of his properties. Wasn't that bad after all, and he was happy to have some company and chit chat.

WTG on the permission :D. Awesome old coins for sure :yes:

That place was awesome. Tons of trash, in some places almost undetectable, even with the 6" coil, but I'm sure there's still good stuff left. My brother in law found his first large cent there too. Overall, I spent about two hours there over a 6 day period. I would have stayed longer, but it was cherry harvesting time, so I didn't want to bother anybody. And yes, the sauna gig opened the doors to some other potentially good locations.
The large cent and the shield nickel were my first ones ever (the shield was in the same hole as the 1889 V nickel - nice nickel spill :-) ) and were on my bucket list. I'm still amazed to have found these coins!

Thanks for watching, and cheers from Utah!

Great finds! I am in Michigan often, but never get to take the MDer along, going to have to rethink that strategy!

Back
Top Bottom