The Downfall- Almost got mugged.

That's an awesome idea, actually.

50 of us dressed in full riot gear doing some metal detecting.

Do I get a sense of a possible new discovery channel show? haha

"RIOT DETECTORS" Thursdays on Discovery. I can see it now!

I am serious, do you think we could set something up for next summer? Anyone in Detroit want to help out? We need some ex police officers who carry to be part of the group. I would bet we could help clean up a lot of areas in the city and get some good publicity.

Doesn't sound like you almost got mugged at all, he didn't threaten you or touch you in any way from what I'm gathering he was just a little persistent and that made you feel uncomfortable.. I can't help but laugh when I see someone use the word "ghetto" when referring to an area.. I think some of you would've been out of this hobby a long time ago if you had to hunt where I hunt constantly

I don't know where you normally detect, but from what I've heard, I'd hope you aren't doing it in Lowell or Lawrence. :p

Hello everyone, I certainly had an interesting venture out detecting last night. I've been doing some research consulting old maps and just about anything else you can imagine.

I found several old school sites and the former public square circa 1896. I was so excited for the hunt after work. The first 2 sites (old schools) were both completely overgrown with weeds and grass that went up to my chest. I"ll figure out a plan for those later.

I located an old area that was a former park. Completely fenced in with barbed wire, now with signs "NO Trespassing." This trip is not panning out how I had imagined.

I went to the former public square, which I knew isn't in the best part of town, but I didn't realize HOW bad, apparently.

I'm walking around with my detector and this shady guy comes walking up to me and yells "What are you doing!?" I explained. He firmly asks "Do you have any money?" I explain I do not. "Oh come on, I KNOW you've got something. Give it to me." I say "I'm sorry, I don't have anything. I have nothing. I wouldn't be here digging in the ground looking for money If i had a bunch." I was able to diffuse the situation, but my pulse was racing. I am also glad I had my Lesche digging tool with me, it would have served a different purpose.

It is so unfortunate that several other sites I was looking forward to digging, are in the same area. I guess I'll attempt to go some other time like at 6:00 in the morning.

It was also an eye opening experience about just how much this area has truly declined, especially since the glory days in the past. It's so ironic that once hailed as the public square, is now a "ghetto," of sorts.

I decided to cut my losses and just went to a baseball field. I found $1.49

Bummer, dudes.

I know this has been suggested but you could look into carrying a knife or gun. I always have a concealed knife and will have a concealed gun soon enough!

Glad you are O.K! If I were you, I'd look in to getting my CCP. Now days the more armed you are the safer you are!!! It's truly SAD...

@Jay - That's a new one, very funny! Have you ever hit on the wooded side of the old soldier home on the hill? There is a system of paths throughout that place, crazy. I use to live on the corner of Cary Ave and Tudor (red house); we need to hook up one morning when I'm out in the Boston area to show you a sick spot! I found 100 coins my first day and then hit the "honey hole" for another 6 years with something new each time. I went back a few months ago and hit another V Nickel, let me know.

@Steve_Ace - As you well know living NY our governor has forbid us from protecting ourselves, so carrying is never going to happen for us while we are MD'ing which is a shame. I would carry if I could, unlike living in Chelsea, MA where I did.

Back
Top Bottom