Found my first ring...possibly gold...new pic of stamp

jl1252

Elite Member
I haven't had much luck finding anything old or valuable lately...even after putting in tons of research. Well, I decided to try a park that dates back to 1938 one town to the north.

To my surprise I had the place almost completely to myself! There's a creek that bisects the park into two pieces. I started with the much smaller northern portion. I walked over the creek bridge, fired up my Xterra 505 and started swinging along an impenetrable wall of blackberry bushes that separates the park from an old Victorian home. Literally, five steps from my starting point I got an iffy signal. It was an 18 from left to right, and a 42/45 from right back to the left. When I rotated 90 degrees it went into the mid-ferrous range both ways. I decided to dig it. I figured it was trash. Boy was I wrong. Turned out to be this chunky gold band along side a rusty square nail! Its stamped on the inside and all I can make out is "14". I'm hoping that's 14k. There are other symbols after the "14 but I can't make them out and I can't seem to find my magnifying glass at the moment. I don't have a gold test kit or a gram scale yet either.

My first thought was that it was gold plated because it had what I thought were thin spots in the metal that appeared to reveal a lighter colored white metal beneath, but after some cleaning and buffing its gone and a nice gold tone throughout. I will take it to jeweler tomorrow for an official word.

The first and second pics are of it as it came out of the ground. The ring has been lightly cleaned in the third pic.

Thanks for looking and reading my long wordy thread...I'm a little excited!!

EDIT Got a magnified pic of the hallmark and I think its 14KTGE....*&%! its electroplated. So disappointed...

Attachments

• gold ring.jpg
    gold ring.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 446
  • ring stamp.jpg
    ring stamp.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 433
  • ring cleaned.jpg
    ring cleaned.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 435
  • ring stamp magnified.jpg
    ring stamp magnified.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 407
I agree, it looks like gold to me too. What is the marking on the inside? Do you have a scale to weigh it? Congrats with the ring!

Looks like gold,congrats

Thanks! I hope it turns out to be 14K. I've been getting really discouraged after putting in hours of research to find old dirt and digging nothing but modern clad.

I agree, it looks like gold to me too. What is the marking on the inside? Do you have a scale to weigh it? Congrats with the ring!

I can't make anything out except the first two characters which I believe to be "14". So I'm hoping its 14K and I'm not seeing things.

:woohoo: congrats !!

Thanks man, my first dirt gold...hopefully.

Well, Damn! :mad: That woulda been a real beauty there..cheap people! Sooner or later, you will get a real one and I hope its a monster for you!
Mud

I feel for you ya! I hate finding what I think is the real deal, only to find out later that its a fake. It's like having someone jerked the rug out from under me. People should be more considerate of what they buy and lose.

beephead

Fake Gold

What a shame. The pictures look like gold. I hope you find out tomorrow it is 14K gold. Your in Grass Valley. In two weeks I will be floating the Yuba River starting at hwy 20 bridge. Do you fly fish?
HH everyone

I think if this was plated you would see evidence of at least a little flaking on the edges or a few spots which I don't see in your pics.
Plated jewelry buried in the ground usually does not hold up well...the more time spent buried the worse it looks.
This also looks like the popular style of wedding band common back in the 30's to 60's...thinner rings are all the rage now in modern times.
I'm thinking it is real gold...check it out and good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, but Ive had a stomach bug since finding the ring.

Im pretty confident its junk but I havent been able to get it tested yet. Ive further deciphered the stamp and the last mark is an arrow through the letter "U" from left to right, very similar to the stamp for Uncas who made lots of gold and costume jewelry. Uncas mark uses an arrow from right to left so my ring may be a knockoff of sorts.

Oh well, I may get it tested anyways. The hunt continues...

Back
Top Bottom