new hunter using a bounty hunter lone star

provingunique

That's right. Brand new to the hobby, after me son and I have been dabbling in coin collecting(mainy pennies). He asked for a metal detector. He is 9yrs old and I picked this model because it seemed simple enough, decent features plus headphones.

Did I do good for a newbie purchase?

Get the hours on any machine, and you will find stuff. its about getting the coil over the objects.

you get out of this hobby, what you put in.

I say this to all new detectorist.

A. do some bench testing (turn on the machine away from any metal) then take different coins, metals, and run the object by the coil to see how your machine reacts

B. make a test garden. put different object at different depths in the ground. spread them out far enough apart. also put object like pull tabs, bottle caps, etc.

C. detect your yard, family's yard, your friends, and neighbors properties. to really know a machine you should have 50-100 hours on the machine.

D. Watch Utube video's about your machine, ask others on the board who have the same machine.

next do some research and venture out to your local town. parks, schools, public areas. (make sure to check your local laws and regulations).

Good Luck and have fun. Remember detecting is about the adventure, getting out with your son, doing something outside is better then sitting watching TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the entry level machines I usually suggest people to buy.
TESORO COMPADRE is 160$

(not in that specific order. )
Garrett Ace 250/350, Fisher F2, Tesoro, new style Whites coinmaster,).

I dont know a thing about the lone star, but our first stab at detecting was with a bh tracker. My kids use it all the time and have a blast. Its not a deep machine, but in all metal mode it finds practically everything inside of several inches. It loves those pennies....and nails and pop tops, but it works and recovers very fast. Two 9 volt batteries will last all summer, and itll get em started. Found a gold ring too. and cheap. Perfect to give it a go and see if detecting is for them. Its put a smile on every kid and adult thats tried it.. Just keep the coil down low and overlap sweeps. Theyll find pennys and save you some flat tires

Back
Top Bottom