Garrett Master Hunter 7

NoIronMan

Saw on of these on CL very reasonable. I think it's vintage is about 1985.
Anybody out there old enough to have any experience with one. I've so, what are the pros and cons?

I bought one new back in the day. If I remember right it uses 6 9v batteries and is pretty heavy. Old technology that can go about 6-7" on a quarter but a slow processor. I would use one in a pinch but would probably just hang it on my wall.

Yep, that was first "top of the line" detector I ever bought. I had a lot of fun with it. If I could buy one CHEAP I would pick one back up. That detector was one of the last made which was completely analog. You can actually here the difference between a clad and silver dime most of the time.

that was my first detector back in the 80'. I found many coins, rings and relics with it. It's a little heavy but has good balance. It has the bell tone for coin/coin like targets. It has a manual tone adjust where you can adjust to your preference. Deep target will give a "whisper" so be sure to listen for that "sweet" sound. From what I remember, I don't recall it having emi issues as today's detectors sometimes do.
One good thing about this detector is that it is still sought after and they sell good on ebay. If you don't like the detector you could prob re-sell it for a profit. completed auctions shows them selling from $157-$375.00
just my 2¢ ☺

My dad brought me into the detecting world on one back when they came out. Saw one at a garage sale for $10 with 5 coils the other day so picked it up as it brought back a lot of memories. It works fine but is just a wall hanger.

Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like a good detector in its day. But also a power hog. I think for $100 I'll let it pass.

I have one and they were the cat's meow back in the day and can still pull out some deep silver with the "whisper" sound. I remember pulling an old dime size silver German coin out at about 9+ " years ago.
I have one now with the stock coil, "Hot Head" coil, 12" coil. It does take 6 nine volt batteries but I get mine online and get good Duracell's for less than $2 apiece. I also have the charger and NiCad battery tray You only need 4 of
the nine volt Nicads to run it.

My dad brought me into the detecting world on one back when they came out. Saw one at a garage sale for $10 with 5 coils the other day so picked it up as it brought back a lot of memories. It works fine but is just a wall hanger.

Why hang it on a wall? I have a number of old vintage detectors. Two Garrett ground Hogs, an original BH Big Bud, two original Silver Sabres, a White's 1210, and my favorite a Tek 9000. Sure they aren't as easy to use as newer models but I hunt for the enjoyment not the riches and I enjoy the challenge. They still find coins.

My first top of the line machines. I found a lot of coins and relics with it. Yes it was heavy, but not bad as it was well balanced. I would like to have one just to play with now and again.

Back
Top Bottom