• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Started fast food job - ready to quit NOW.

Bonesquat

Elite Member
Ok, started my fastfood job and HATE it with a burning passion. I am a computer repair guy. I loved working that job. Paid more and was FUN and you actually used your brain.

I even enjoyed carpet cleaning 1000 times more than fastfood. This was my first night. Do I just hand in my clothes and quit right out? Never come back? It's not worth the paltry amount to me. I'd rather find clad detecting or the chance of gold.

I know some of you will say, "Stick it out, it's a job". It's a disgusting place. People don't wear gloves when preparing burgers - grease everywhere. Dirty hands everywhere. I don't ever want to eat there again. And I'm too tall to clean dishes and stuff. My back was getting murdered stooping down.

Fast food and restaurant business is not easy. I was a cook for about 2 years in a local restaurant. The food smell permeates your clothes and skin and its hard to get rid of.
Bottom line, your not happy. OK. I would give them at least a week notice, two if you can stand it. That employer will be on your work record. Guess who your new employer will contact before he hires you? You want to try and leave on good terms. Giving notice helps achieve that. Good Luck!

Probably the worst work environment one could ever be in. Last one I worked in was Wendy's.

I had friends here in IL that were making 400 a week on unemployment. I was making 200 a week after taxes at Wendy's WITH overtime. I feel stupid for taking a job just for a job's sake now.

The owners make a fortune off of your hard work. You will never be compensated or appreciated for your time. Customers will look at you and talk to you like you are a piece of human garbage. I've seen 2 female employees actually get spit on while working at a fast food restaurant.

Ok, started my fastfood job and HATE it with a burning passion. I am a computer repair guy. I loved working that job. Paid more and was FUN and you actually used your brain.

I even enjoyed carpet cleaning 1000 times more than fastfood. This was my first night. Do I just hand in my clothes and quit right out? Never come back? It's not worth the paltry amount to me. I'd rather find clad detecting or the chance of gold.

I know some of you will say, "Stick it out, it's a job". It's a disgusting place. People don't wear gloves when preparing burgers - grease everywhere. Dirty hands everywhere. I don't ever want to eat there again. And I'm too tall to clean dishes and stuff. My back was getting murdered stooping down.

Sounds to me like you have answered your own question. I worked at a Pizza Hut for a year and loved it. Fast food isn't a glamorous job, that's for sure. You got to do what is right for your current situation in life.

G2M

Bones, I sure understand your predicament. I worked at Taco Bell once and hated it. It did not pay me enough to even justify the babysitter for 2 kids, let alone bills. I did not bother with giving notice, but giving at least a weeks notice is the preferred method of resigning as Patton has advised. 2 weeks notice is better if you can handle it. Hope everything works out for you Bones, and Good Luck!!

Gemmy

Depends on how badly you need a job, most things take a week or two to get use to, and you always start out doing the most undesirable tasks. If you get them done, and barely except-able, your manager will probably find something better suited for you. Don't think the 2-week policy applies for fast food, unless it's all you got to show. Future employers will understand that it's rough out there, and it's not for everyone.

Tried repairing PC's on the side or at a shop that does?.....Sounds like a crappy place there..If it's not a healthy food establishment and you don't like it, leave......A notice is always best but in that case you sure wouldn't lose any good words from them on a referral...Just don't ever put it down as a reference....

Fast food is the pits. If you don't need the money I would give them a small notice and turn your uniform in. I'm sure they're used to high turn-over. They did give you employment that you excepted, so I would at least show up one more day so they're not shorthanded unexpectedly.

YOU should go out "Half Baked" style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcoobYUu8g

These days you can usually pick up a security guard job that pays as much or more than fast food and its usually an easy job. If you really need the extra money that might be the thing to try. Neither one are a career for most people , just a source of a little income , but observing and reporting beats dishwashing or frying greasy burgers any day.

Go to the boss, shake his hand and tell him you appreciate the opportunity but you simply aren't cut out for it. Thank him for giving you a shot, and offer a two week notice unless he feels he can cut you loose more quickly.

1) Keep job and look for another job asap. 2) When you find a new job, give notice. Builds Resume. Shows good work ethic. I am old school. I worked part time Security and it was great. Boring as heck, but easy. They like any one that has a good record, and a good work ethic.

One thing you don't want on your resume is a ton of different jobs worked for a short period of time. Looks bad. I know it sucks but I'd tough it out and make the best of it.

One thing you don't want on your resume is a ton of different jobs worked for a short period of time. Looks bad. I know it sucks but I'd tough it out and make the best of it.

The thing about resumés is that the only thing in them is what you put in them. A prospective employer may want to know why there is a gap in employment history but in these times it would be an easy answer...got laid off.

worked at mickeyds for 4 hours
the worse part it was five miles away had to ride a bike they gave me 2 hour a day one day a week
so i worked there for 2 weeks think i made 6$
curtis

keep the paycheck coming in, and go look for new work ASAP.

before this 12 year stint I went through 20 jobs, I would only be without work(money) for a very short period of time.

I needed the loot. when I hated the jobs I did, I would go look for new work on my free time. word of mouth helped a lot. I also signed up with a temp agency that helped me find some cool/easy jobs.

So quit if your not happy there. I told you that is a dead end job anyway. Find something you can use your skills to the max.

Many buisnesses can't hire a computer repair person full time, BUT, with your knowlege on computer repair they may hire you for a position (floor person, cashier, stock handler, etc.) and use your computer knowlege for when they have problems. Let them know your skill as an extra selling point! It will save the buisiness time and money to have an on-site expert.

Number one it wont be on your work record unless YOU put it there. There is no law you have to tell any employer you worked there. I have worked a lot of different stuff in my life but never fast food, that is the bottom of the barrell. I would work ANY retail over food service. Walmart, grocerystore etc.......good luck, your a good man to even work one shift in my opinion.

Many buisnesses can't hire a computer repair person full time, BUT, with your knowlege on computer repair they may hire you for a position (floor person, cashier, stock handler, etc.) and use your computer knowlege for when they have problems. Let them know your skill as an extra selling point! It will save the buisiness time and money to have an on-site expert.

Washed dishes for awhile in high school, that job didn't last 2 weeks.
Tried management training at Wendys in the late 70's, and even though I was good at it and would have eventually made it past store manager into even higher positions, the hours were ridiculous...especially for the actual amount of pay for those hours.

A few months and I was gone.

Fast food was not for me.

Back
Top Bottom