Equinox 600 finally arrived!

Texaspast

Elite Member
I ordered an Equinox 600 this week from Phil at Myers Metal Detectors (one of our sponsors), at a really good price - and he shipped it out immediately by Priority Mail! I'll have it by Monday or Tuesday. I'll tell you my experiences with it. It won't have the wireless headphones like the Deus, of course, but I guess I can upgrade if it is that important. I kinda like the Deus wireless headphones, even though I dislike the design of the 'back of head' W4 phones. I hunt in brush a lot and having a wire to the coil has never bothered me, but the danged headphone wires are a female dog! Anyway, thanks Phil! [Edit: It got here, and tried it out - see below.]

Last edited:
I have this next week off, so I'm going to go to an old sawmill town site that I hunted several times 25 or so years ago and have never been back since - it is a long drive! From the satellite pictures, a lot of it has been cleared. I found some wonderful stuff there before and I'll try out the Equinox there and report in - assuming the good areas have not been destroyed by the several gas wells that have been drilled there since I was there. A friend I was hunting with back then found an 1812 war era army coat button (a RARE occurrence in Texas!), so I'm going to go to that area first.

Sounds interesting...will be waiting to hear more about the 600 & your hunts. Just received my Makro Kruzer last week. So learning it right now. Still thinking about picking up an Equinox in the future.

Congrats on your 600 Texaspast . I got mine from Phil at Meyers also , very nice guy . I did get a pair of aftermarket APTX Low Latency headphones for mine , they work great , easy to pair up too . I have not gotten out with mine yet , waiting for the snow to melt but hopefully soon . Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 600 . Good luck & HH

I'll be very interested in how it works for you if you happen to live in Texas, and your soil is the dark clay I hunt in here North Texas.

OK, I picked up my Equinox 600 from the Post Office at 8:00 this morning, plugged it in to charge it and this afternoon went out to my old standby search field - the local baseball complex. A city block of ball fields dating back to the 1940s. It is incredibly trashy, and I've hunted it with a bunch of different detectors for nearly 20 years. I was running the Equinox in Park 2 setting, with some of the tweaks suggested by Calabash. I was both amazed and puzzled.
I intentionally searched the most pulltab-infested parts, and the 600 performed wonderfully. I found 10 quarters, two nickels, a few pennies, one of them a wheatie. The 600 sniffed out the good ones from all the mess - if it burped a high number, it was right. The nickels both pegged at 12 (but so do the pulled-off pop tops - so I limited my digging of nickes!). The quarters were less certain - anywhere from 29 to 32. The puzzling part is that I didn't find a single dime. Not one! That is unusual for that place - I usually find about equal numbers of quarters and dimes. Maybe the dimes were more easily masked by the pull tabs. Don't know. Anyway, I'm sold. I searched this same place with a Deus - I did find one silver dime with it, but it had a hard time sniffing out things in the aluminum trash. I thought it was because the 11 inch coil was too big for that type hunting - but the 600 has an 11 incher, and it worked great. So - I'm glad I got it! I'll take it out on a sawmill hunt (I hope) later this week.

Glad you got it and enjoying it ,I too really like it does good in trashy areas

I am thinking about getting an Equinox 800. Has everyone who ordered last year received the detector? Does anyone know what the delivery time is if you order one now?

I'm in Japan so if I order one I need to make sure it will be delivered before I go to the U.S. next month. I would like to avoid the extra $60-70 in shipping if possible.

Back
Top Bottom