• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I Almost Joined A Gym

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
I was thinking about joining a gym to lose a few pounds. Then I thought why a treadmill, when there's a road outside. Why a stairclimber when there are trails everywhere. I can walk 1/2 mile from my house, turn right, hike up a trail that rises over 250 feet, then have a 3/4 mile walk back home.

I think it's a better alternative, outside, fresh air, and it costs nothing.

I drove a service truck or flatbed tow truck from 18 to 25 years old. Then I worked carpentry and construction for over 25 years. There is not much that keeps me inside. I don't mind cold. you can always put on more layers. For 35 years I put 2 layers of long johns on every day in the winter.
The problem is the summer heat, you can only take off so many clothes before you get arrested. :grin:

If you are going to buy any exercise equipment, just get a bench, a barbell, and some dumbells. With everything else you can do outdoors, that will have everything covered pretty well.

:thumbsup:

Agree with ya, I try and cycle during my lunch hours when I’m not detecting, but anyway you slice it something, whatever WORKS consistently for you is best! Gluck and have some fun!

No those are the days you run instead of walk! :lol:

At my age , running is out , I'm going to jail. :laughing:
The weight bench at home is a good idea , also , I used to do a bunch of calisthenics , which to my surprise did a lot for me. But the great outdoors is where you need to get your exercise. Now with my age and body pains , just going outside is a workout. And I'm considered young to quite a few on here.
You want to see how good of shape your in ? Go out in your front yard and strip down nekid , and see how far you can run before you get locked up. :laughing:
We'll be waiting right here for the update , we realize it might be a day or so before you get back with us. :laughing: :laughing:

I like photography so it's a good time to get some wildlife photos. Coyotes and fox are really getting common in my area. Deer and turkeys are so common that they are just considered traffic hazards. So I'll try for the fox and coyotes.

It's just about exercise but if I get some good pictures it's a bonus.

At my age , running is out , I'm going to jail. :laughing:
The weight bench at home is a good idea , also , I used to do a bunch of calisthenics , which to my surprise did a lot for me. But the great outdoors is where you need to get your exercise. Now with my age and body pains , just going outside is a workout. And I'm considered young to quite a few on here.
You want to see how good of shape your in ? Go out in your front yard and strip down nekid , and see how far you can run before you get locked up. :laughing:
We'll be waiting right here for the update , we realize it might be a day or so before you get back with us. :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: I’m on the mend from knee surgery so running is out for me right now otherwise I would grab a beer and the GoPro and see how far I could make it!:laughing::laughing:

Your right though outdoor exercise is great. Any sort of cardio is good for you for that matter. The key is to get the heart rate up and then keep it there. I did the one hour a night “insanity” videos. They are for the “younger” crowd and the first time I swear I almost died. But man after a few months I was in the best shape of my life at 35 and I had tons of energy every day. I just hope in six months or so I can get back to them with my knee but they are high impact.

That nice and peaceful adventure in a great neighborhood would be very enjoyable, its not gonna do much for shedding a few pounds, get on track with serving sizes and you will shed unwanted pounds. although it is a good idea to keep on some extra pounds this time of year! helps keep ya warm!!! Those nice enjoyable walks are always comforting!:scooter:

:laughing: I’m on the mend from knee surgery so running is out for me right now otherwise I would grab a beer and the GoPro and see how far I could make it!:laughing::laughing:

Your right though outdoor exercise is great. Any sort of cardio is good for you for that matter. The key is to get the heart rate up and then keep it there. I did the one hour a night “insanity” videos. They are for the “younger” crowd and the first time I swear I almost died. But man after a few months I was in the best shape of my life at 35 and I had tons of energy every day. I just hope in six months or so I can get back to them with my knee but they are high impact.

Hey man. Thanks for seeing the humor in my post, at my age, we've got to start seeing the upside in life. :lol:

Five years ago (at age 55) I started playing disc golf. I play as often as I can. Lost and kept off 10 pounds.

As a bonus, most disc golf courses are in places where you can detect.

Five years ago (at age 55) I started playing disc golf. I play as often as I can. Lost and kept off 10 pounds.

As a bonus, most disc golf courses are in places where you can detect.

Ooooh! Thanks for the reminder. Been complaining about most of my schools being fenced in and just remembered a disc golf course I haven't scanned in 2 years!:shock:

That nice and peaceful adventure in a great neighborhood would be very enjoyable, its not gonna do much for shedding a few pounds, get on track with serving sizes and you will shed unwanted pounds. although it is a good idea to keep on some extra pounds this time of year! helps keep ya warm!!! Those nice enjoyable walks are always comforting!:scooter:

I do live in a great neighborhood, but it is not flat. Hills are everywhere, and I'm not talking about walking on sidewalks we don't have them. We do have county reservations with hiking trails, we also have rail trails where they took out railroad tracks and turned them into hiking trails.

The rail trails are great for leisurely walk or a bike ride. The reservations are good for a workout.

56 years old and just completed an Ironman Triathlon as well as a couple marathons this past year. I will be doing 3 marathons this year as well as several half marathons and topping it off with another 2 Ironman races. I am a former fat guy who's motto is just keep on moving!
On the plus side I have enough endurance that I can swing almost any machine from sun up to sundown.

I want you all to know, if I'm ever found dead on a jogging path, that I was killed elsewhere and put there. Exercise sucks.

I'd rather detect, but the ground is frozen solid. In the summer I can use a small digger, the police frown on shovels in the parks. This time of year I'd need a jackhammer. Taking pictures gets me out of the house and gives me something to do.

How about this? A treadmill that goes really slow like I walk when detecting, every minute it stops and you have to do knee bends like you were digging a pull tab. Maybe a weight to simulate swinging a detector.

Look for me on Sharktank.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom