• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need advice on gear

German

Hi there. I have recently bought me a house on a large plot in Germany. Have a good reason to believe here is something to look for since the house was a guesthouse and a pub for almost 100 years until about 35 years ago. I am new in metal detecting, have never tried it before and know nothing about it. Have been looking at some metal detectors and not sure what I want or need.

So, in case someone can give me some good advice on a suitable metal detector here is some info about the area around my house.

I am in a mountain/hills area. It is mostly woodland and farmland. This area is also a mining area, silver, tin, uranium, indium and some other metals. But no gold. So I guess a metal detector should be adjustable to ignore signals from metal rich soil/rocks.
I am far from the ocean and lakes so underwater capabilities are not important for me.
On my plot there is a lot of manmade roads and rock walls that have been built and rebuilt several times and I have a reason to believe here may be some stuff deep under so I am interested in a detector that can scan really deep.
And then it is the budget, I want to constrain the spending as possible. So not looking for anything above $200
I usually get along with tec stuff, be it old tec or new so not worried about doing some manual adjustments rather than counting on modern automatic high tec stuff.

So far I have been looking at some Garrett models and Seben deep target but I am not sure about how accurate the online info is on those models and how good they are at finding stuff deep down in the soil.

I decided to join this forum since it looks like it is possible to get a good advice from experienced people here ;)

What do you mean by “deep?” The detectors in your price range should go 6-8” for average-size coins and won’t be as affected by mineralization. Your best bet may be to check out the used equipment market.

In that price range maybe check out the Tesoro Compadre or Mohave.
I would recommend a decent pinpointer too, makes finding targets way easier.
It's a bit over your price range but I think one of the best deals out there is the Minelab X-Terra 705
Lists at $499 but I think you could get an even better price with one of our forum sponsors.
Great detector for the money. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby!

so I am interested in a detector that can scan really deep.

And then it is the budget, I want to constrain the spending as possible. So not looking for anything above $200

iu

You should enlarge the budget, if you can. Either the X-Terra 705 (above) or the Equinox 600 would be good choices, but about twice what you want to spend. In the $200 range, in addition to the Tesoro detectors (above), you could consider the Fisher F22.

Yeah man, thats going to be tough. I too would recommend a pinpointer, and perhaps you can find a used garrett at or ace model thats closer to your budget.

But hey, if you want me to come visit and bring an extra detector, I'm all for it!! Sounds like an amazing location.

I too would recommend a pinpointer, and perhaps you can find a used garrett at or ace model thats closer to your budget.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say what the OP is hoping to find, won't require a pinpointer, and will be out of reach of a cheap detector.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say what the OP is hoping to find, won't require a pinpointer, and will be out of reach of a cheap detector.

Good point. He does mention deep targets several times. But hey, with a 200$ budget you gotta start somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom