Sweating for Broken Silver

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I got out for a short hunt this morning - it was forecast to get quite warm as the day progressed, but I was thinking I could avoid being cooked too badly since there were quite a few clouds around to provide some random shade. No such luck - I was sweating buckets within 20 minutes! And apparently I drag/lean my right forearm along the front of my right leg when I kneel and dig targets...I know this because I suddenly realized I looked like I wet myself when I stood up after about the 12th plug I dug! :shock: The sweat from my arm had transferred to the leg of my cargo shorts...my whole right leg from the belt line down to my knee was saturated!! My pride was spared by the fact that I had the park to myself...no one else was crazy enough to go out in the heat! :lol:

Anyway, I didn’t get much for my trouble - although I’m still managing to pull the occasional interesting find of the park. I went back to the same area that I dug the Large Cent the other day, to see if anything else good was still lurking in the spot. Maybe 10 feet from were I dug the Largie, I hit on a solid high tone, 78-79 signal in all directions indicating only 4” down. A little too high for a Zincoln, but not quite high enough for a copper Lincoln - I honestly assumed it would come up as can slaw. But it was a definite “dig me” signal, so I knelt my sweat-soaked self down to dig again, and got rewarded with a cool, old sterling ring! The band was broken and bent up quite a bit, but the design is neat and clearly antique. It looks like it broke right at the seam of the band, especially since you can see the black solder on both sides of the break and on both the inside and outside of the band. Cool that the stone is still in place, though it’s a little loose - any ideas what type of stone it might be? The greenish stone has a foggy, translucence to it. I don’t know stones very well, and I don’t see a match on current or past lists for birthstones. But I also know birthstones lists are often very inconsistent.

The only other finds are the shot shell headstamps which date from somewhere in the 1940s to 1960s that appear in the pictures, all of 4 cents in pennies, and some trash.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 385B365B-944B-4845-ABE3-AE281A5C90C1.jpg
    385B365B-944B-4845-ABE3-AE281A5C90C1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 365
  • 67995DF2-BBF6-4A2F-A3F2-3387B6822829.jpg
    67995DF2-BBF6-4A2F-A3F2-3387B6822829.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 304
Nice find, could it be jade? Congrats.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Touch a glass drinking glass gently to your tooth, same with plastic, note the difference. Compare with the stone on your tooth, that will at a minimum eliminate plastic.. I only am thinking plastic because older plastics degrade and fog up like that..

It'd be cool if it's a real stone, but that ring looks a little bit higher production, lower quality, compared to many others marked Sterling...

Either way, congrats on the silver!

<°)))>{

Patience is definitely paying off for you at that place. Lots of signals your detector is constantly singing you a song while you swing it there. Nice job!

Very cool ring! I wonder what the stone is?

Thanks WyoTom! Not sure yet, but some good suggestions these last couple of days from other forum members - I might get it figured out soon!

Big Congrats on the silver ring! Cooler weather in on its way.

Thanks beep! That cooler weather arrived today - I had to drive an hour to get to ground that was moist enough to dig easily, but I was nice to do a hunt without losing 10 pounds of water weight! :yes:

Love finding old sterling! That stone looks like it has a glow to it; like uranium glass? Check it under a UV blacklight!

Interesting suggestion - thanks, Foragist! I have to admit, I’d never heard of uranium glass, and had to look it up. From what I’ve read so far, it’s a strong possibility - uranium glass popularity peaked in the US between 1880 and 1920, and production essentially ceased in the early 1940s because of government regulation during the Manhattan Project. I’ll check it out - gotta find me a black light...

Nice find, could it be jade? Congrats.

I would also guess the stone is jade. Regardless, nice job!

Thanks ecmo and DN - jade is a good call, too. It’s hard to tell in the pics, but in person, the stone seems to be a little too translucent for most examples of jade I’ve seen. It does seem to have more of a dulled, fogged glass look - more like Jadeite (form of Uranium glass as suggested by Foragist) or fogged plastic as Ice Scratcher suggested.

Touch a glass drinking glass gently to your tooth, same with plastic, note the difference. Compare with the stone on your tooth, that will at a minimum eliminate plastic.. I only am thinking plastic because older plastics degrade and fog up like that..

It'd be cool if it's a real stone, but that ring looks a little bit higher production, lower quality, compared to many others marked Sterling...

Either way, congrats on the silver!

Excellent suggestion, Ice - I’ll try that when I get home. It’d be a bummer if it turns out to be plastic - seems odd to put a plastic stone in a silver band, but I guess stranger things have been done!

Patience is definitely paying off for you at that place. Lots of signals your detector is constantly singing you a song while you swing it there. Nice job!

Thanks Dan! That park sure has been unexpectedly kind to me so far - it’s real work eeking the finds out of there, but it still produces!

The ring looks early 1900's to me. And that was the time when synthetic stones were new and used often. Synthetic stones are much softer than the real ones. And when they sit in the ground they get scratched by the dirt and temperature changes. I bet the stone was Crystal clear but now looks foggy. Maybe a synthetic emerald?
I dug a similar ring and the stone was foggy. I researched the hallmark and found out it was made by a jeweler who actually died on the titanic! Ostby&Barton. I had the ring restored and the stone repolished. I was told that synthetic stones in rings from this era isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact it can be good to verify authenticity.

Nice find.

Attachments

• photo-20150721115702.jpg
    photo-20150721115702.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 142
  • photo-20150727074033.jpg
    photo-20150727074033.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 138
  • photo-20170220035117.jpg
    photo-20170220035117.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 141
  • photo-20170220035116.jpg
    photo-20170220035116.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 150
That's a neat older ring. I'd rather dig one that says sterling than one that's marked 925.

Cool ring! I’d be tempted to try and work it back into shape. Like the headstamps too!

You and me both - I toyed with the idea of trying to get it repaired. I can't do the work myself - I just don't have the knowledge, equipment, or skill! I know a couple folks who might be able to do it for me but I wouldn't expect them to do it for free, and I just don't know if it'll be worth any cost.

And yes, I definitely don't mind digging the headstamps! I know some folks consider them an annoyance or trash, but I like them for several reasons. They often have a researchable history that I find interesting, which also means you can find a date range for them. Once you know all that, headstamps can help date the ground your hunting, build a picture of what the site used to be used for, and give you an idea how far you might have to dig to reach silver. Not bad for the lowly headstamp :cool:

Congrats on the silver.

Thanks twizzlerlord!

The ring looks early 1900's to me. And that was the time when synthetic stones were new and used often. Synthetic stones are much softer than the real ones. And when they sit in the ground they get scratched by the dirt and temperature changes. I bet the stone was Crystal clear but now looks foggy. Maybe a synthetic emerald?
I dug a similar ring and the stone was foggy. I researched the hallmark and found out it was made by a jeweler who actually died on the titanic! Ostby&Barton. I had the ring restored and the stone repolished. I was told that synthetic stones in rings from this era isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact it can be good to verify authenticity.

Nice find.

Thanks for all this info, HN! Excellent points about the abrasive effect of dirt on synthetic stones during temperature changes - I definitely learned something there. I tested the stone on my tooth like Ice Scratcher suggested - definitely a stone and not plastic based on that simple test.

And thanks for sharing that story on the ring you found - awesome back story on it's designer! If mine turned out to have a story like that, there's no doubt that I'd restore it!

That's a neat older ring. I'd rather dig one that says sterling than one that's marked 925.

Thanks NCtoad! And you might be teaching me something, too - does a ring marked "sterling" imply greater age than one marked "925"? A quick search online implies that there isn't likely a difference in quality of the silver with the two markings - although apparently the French standard for "sterling" is 95%, higher than the rest of the world. That would be a knock on the "sterling" stamp - I imagine the definition of "sterling" can change over time and in different countries, while with a 925 stamp you theoretically know exactly what you have.

And yes, I definitely don't mind digging the headstamps! I know some folks consider them an annoyance or trash, but I like them for several reasons. They often have a researchable history that I find interesting, which also means you can find a date range for them. Once you know all that, headstamps can help date the ground your hunting, build a picture of what the site used to be used for, and give you an idea how far you might have to dig to reach silver. Not bad for the lowly headstamp :cool:

I also do not mind gun shells for the reason you stated.
Also like hearing the Non-Iron tone at iron rich farm sites to dig something not rusty.

Back
Top Bottom