Frankindetector

gtodude

Hello everyone! Well, a while back a drowned my Beachhunter and it met a watery grave, frying the circuit board. Not long after, I noticed my MXT-300 was overloading if I brought it above the preset and got into the positive gain region. That is when I bought the NOX800, I was due for a birthday gift anyhow. After a few months of pondering what could be wrong with it, I tested it by removing my 12” spider coil and attached a brand new 950 concentric coil at a dealer in Indiana. The overload went away so I ended up buying the 950. After using it for a little while, I noticed it wasn’t doing nearly as well as it had with the 12” Spider coil. It was working but it was missing a lot of coins in my test garden. My MXT is the MxT-300 which came with a 12” coil from the factory so I had an idea....maybe the programming wasn’t correct for this smaller coil so I began the transformation.

I removed the 12” beachhunter coil and cut the wires, I then cut the wires off of my old 12” spider coil. After stripping the wires, I noticed they were identical in color and size....hmmmmmm

After some splicing action, it was time to test it and low and behold it worked!! The MXT300 is back to its old self, it is now finding coins in my test garden at 12”+, making deep targets possible again whereas with the 950, it went right over them without a peep. Since buying my Nox800, I haven’t used the MXT much but it’s ok, my kids can use it now and I’m much happier as are they. Now we will see how long my repairs last.

That is why I tested it with the new 950 coil first, well technically we took a 12 inch coil off of a brand new detector they had first and the overload condition stopped. They are also a Whites Repair shop and their best guess was that my spider coil had problems internally. The MXT300 itself was in perfect working order but unfortunately they didn’t have another 12” coil to sell me. They told me the 950 would work but just not as deep and boy was that true. I figured if I screwed up the wiring, no harm no foul. Thankfully the beachhunter coil is hard-wired and was just collecting dust and the plug off of my malfunctioning spider coil was all that was needed so the risk was worth it. If all else failed, I was going to buy a new 12” coil. So if it works for a little while or a long while, it doesn’t really matter, the kids could always stick to their Ace’s. 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom