• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox 6" coil depth?

Bajanick

Elite Member
Ive read a few places that the 6" coil for the equinox has the same depth capability as the stock 11" coil.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Seems kinda odd, since the prevailing knowledge is that smaller coils give better separation but a loss of depth.

Mine hits coins at 9 inches nicely. It works similar to the 8x6 on my FBS. I suspect you lose some separation in shallow/medium depths running hot, but in fairly clean ground, 6 is outstanding. The 11" will still out reach it though. ML put together a winner with the 6"coil on the equinox. They did something special IMO.

Hi,
Martin V3is results with the 6" Nox coil are similar to mine. It can easily detect past its diameter in inches. Mine has hit 7" and 8" coin sized targets easily and has even hit very small targets in the gold fields past 7" including sub gram gold and lead. Anytime a coil can easily detect at or more than its physical diameter it is a very special coil.

Jeff

I tested mine a few days ago an wasn't too impressed with it depth especially when testing a 10kt gold ring at 5" even in beach 1&2. The next day I decided to try again. This time I did a factory preset and glad I did. After the FP it hit hard on the same test. I could raise the search coil another 4-5" and still got a response that I would dig

I tested mine a few days ago an wasn't too impressed with it depth especially when testing a 10kt gold ring at 5" even in beach 1&2. The next day I decided to try again. This time I did a factory preset and glad I did. After the FP it hit hard on the same test. I could raise the search coil another 4-5" and still got a response that I would dig

Minelab's software writers suck. I and a lot of other people here have reported these anomalies. I definitely have, and periodically still do. Mine is a 600 so I don't tweak more than sensitivity and recovery speed every so often. I used to have the same type drop outs with my V3i, and it was from over tweaking. In the case of the Equinox 600, mine shouldn't be from over tweaking.

You have been wise to see the indicators and then do the FP. Be happy that it works at that time. It just don't sometimes and a new SW install with more full resets are sometimes required.

Ya'll. Intermittently check performance in a coin dedicated garden. It can definitely save you from hours of wasted coil swinging on important hunts.

Thanks for the responses. I definately need a smaller coil due to the trashy areas I hunt.

Thanks Everyone.

Well, I got one on wednesday and have played around with it. Got 3 wheaties so far. The real test is going to be this weekend. I hope the depth to separation ratio is worth it.

:dancing:

My first find this year with the 6” coil was a buffalo nickel in “hunted out” park. The guy next to me found a V nickel with his Equinox and a 6” coil. They were both about 7-8 deep.
I love the coil for hunting trashy parks.

It performed well as far as pinpointing and locating items but the depth did not do all that good. Maybe I need to play around with it some more at different locations and tweak some settings.

:signals:

Wait a minute...

So when putting the 6” coil on you are supposed to do a factory reset :?:

I’ve only used mine once and just put it on and powered up.

Don’t really want to do a FR when switching coils. Nothing in the manual about this so I’m curious.

Wait a minute...

So when putting the 6” coil on you are supposed to do a factory reset :?:

I’ve only used mine once and just put it on and powered up.

Don’t really want to do a FR when switching coils. Nothing in the manual about this so I’m curious.

Not required to do full reset to get good ops when switching coils.

However I recommend doing a full reset every now and then, or if you witness some thing incorrect ops wise.

For folks who use their machines almost daily maybe a full reset every month.
For folks like weekend warriors types every 3 or 4 months.

Doesn’t take long to set detector back up really.

Again this is just my opinion.
Do what you wish.

Not required to do full reset to get good ops when switching coils.

However I recommend doing a full reset every now and then, or if you witness some thing incorrect ops wise.

For folks who use their machines almost daily maybe a full reset every month.
For folks like weekend warriors types every 3 or 4 months.

Doesn’t take long to set detector back up really.

Again this is just my opinion.
Do what you wish.

Thanks tnsharpshooter! Appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom