Job Rants... Anyone?

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Felt like ranting about my work / jobs....Join if you want to!

So, I do freelance photo/video and I am also a stay at home dad... and for the past few years I have also been a professional reviewer for products and companies.

I like everything I do... but lately, I have been acquiring too much stuff being a professional reviewer. They send me a list of items and give me a number of how many items I have to pick from that campaign.

I am often left with products I can't use personally. I have a TON of clothes all of very well known name brands, and they come new with tags so the prices generally average between $50 - $100 per shirt, pants are just as expensive. Then the appliances and other crazy items I get to test.

I don't know what to do with it all! The stipulations of the terms of service is that I can not sell the products afterwards, and there is a very fine line on what I can do with them while I have them in terms of making any revenue on them. I could maybe try and make YouTube videos with them to get some sort of income, but again it's a murky area in the terms.

Soooo... being a reviewer is fun, get a lot of cool items for free, but there is no actual money or spendable payment involved. Payment is the product. If I totaled the value of the items at retail costs that I have received over the past few years it would be in the over $10k easy. But I have too much stuff around the house now! Portable air conditioners, TV's, deep freezers, all kinds of stuff!

What to do with it all!!!

Charity? Or give them to a friend and they can sell the items and or trade off for service you can use like bartering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, friends and family get their share. I’m in Amish country and nearest big town is about 50 miles away for a charity/donation location. And I don’t have a vehicle big enough for all the stuff! My barn and basement are filling up with stuff. Got it all in totes and boxes.

We were thinking garage sale so it’s off the radar, but I feel bad if I make money. May have a donations section now that you mention it!

Watch you local news and newspaper, occasionally there might be stories of local people who have lost most of their belongings due to a natural disaster like a severe storm, fire, or other situation and the news station will say where to take donations if you can help, just an idea !

Watch you local news and newspaper, occasionally there might be stories of local people who have lost most of their belongings due to a natural disaster like a severe storm, fire, or other situation and the news station will say where to take donations if you can help, just an idea !

THIS!! If the company(s) that supplied you wish to query what you did with the goods, they can hardly make any bones about you using them in a charitable fashion. It would be an embarrassment for them, especially if such protest(s) went public.

Roger

Give the stuff to Goodwill, especially the clothes and since they still have the tags on them, take the tax rightoff for that retail value! You know Bill Clinton got $10 tax writeoff for every used piece of underwear shorts they donated. That what rich folks do and get away with! That will give you 25% of the retail value as donations back in your pocket! Also find a local homeless shelter and donate to them for no tax writeoff if you just need to dump the stuff! Both are charitable donations and they should not be able to kick about it. If they do, then tell them that you gave it all to relatives and don't know what they did with it!:lol::lol:

Freebie stuff is popular around here in The rural area. I think we are going to setup a freebie stand. Had some people come by already for a few complete sets of tires and some small electrical appliances.

How did I get to be a reviewer... well honestly I did a lot of YouTube videos and stuff under multiple channels and a previous coworker of mine told me about a regional company (in Texas at the time) that gets hired out by large companies to have people who review products. Those reviews are shown on the companies product pages. My coworker had somehow been a part of it for a while and gave me an invite when the company was recruiting more participants. That’s how that got started. On the application they ask about social media, forums, etc. that you post to as “experience” and bc my Youtube channels have millions of hours watched and such I think that was my ‘In’. Plus it helped that at the time I was a producer for TV/Film and had media and PR experience.

Products are cool... if you need them! Some products are hard to review if you don’t have a reason to use or have it. Like Flex Seal for instance. Just reviewed it but had to hunt down a use for it to be able to do the review accurately!

May be you can donate some of it to the forum for a fund raiser , people love contest and prizes.

That’s an interesting idea. I’ll have to think about that one.

Just this past couple of weeks. I got a hair max laserband 41 ($550), Nespresso machine #1 ($400), Nespresso machine #2 ($850), a bunch of colognes, hair regrowth shampoo/conditioner. Lol just to name a few.

Contest

Just this past couple of weeks. I got a hair max laserband 41 ($550), Nespresso machine #1 ($400), Nespresso machine #2 ($850), a bunch of colognes, hair regrowth shampoo/conditioner. Lol just to name a few.

I imagine raising some money for the forum would always be welcome , after all we all get so much out of it and not that many donate to it. I am sure it is rather expensive to keep it up and running. With Christmas right around the corner could be a win -win for everyone. You might contact Rudy to see if he would be interested .http://metaldetectingforum.com/member.php?u=34

How do I sign up? I'm starting to bald....:laughing: seriously though! :lol: nespresso?!?! Never had one, but always wanted one, sounds awesome! My job is cleaning up after 75 college students in a dorm, can you tell its move in day?

Attachments

• 0820190729_Film4.jpg
    0820190729_Film4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 245
First world problems :lol:

I suppose charity shops won't turn them away, or if you really want to make some money from them, do what joee5 said and get your friends/relatives to sell them.

I imagine raising some money for the forum would always be welcome , after all we all get so much out of it and not that many donate to it. I am sure it is rather expensive to keep it up and running. With Christmas right around the corner could be a win -win for everyone. You might contact Rudy to see if he would be interested .http://metaldetectingforum.com/member.php?u=34

If you are interested in raising money for the forum, send a PM to Vlad or Carol K, the forum owners.

donation / fund raising for the site.

If you are interested in raising money for the forum, send a PM to Vlad or Carol K, the forum owners.

Wasn't sure if any fund raising like that had be tried before , but figured you could point them in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom