dry sand still paying off need karma advice lol update

coldmidget

ok still killing dry sand just a few junkers and gold. here is some pics.

i was out friday night lady came to me said lost gold necklace with barbers pole. had for 18 yrs bla bla bla showed me area lost was size of half football field lost playing ball. searched area till 330 in morning 7 hrs hunting digging foil bottle caps etc didnt want to miss it. no luck. went back today searched area they had parked beach chairs jets ski etc at. now move away. bammm found barbers pole looked for necklace no luck. lady said would give substantial reward sentimental value etc. here is dilemma. i know ill give pole back. but called lady today she in Minnesota. told found pole send me address ill send it to here. she sent address and said next time in florida she would buy me lunch. how should i ask for reward without asking. or u think she will reward me substantial ? i could have keep but then have to deal with karma gods.

Attachments

• 20210118_134635.jpg
    20210118_134635.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 621
  • 20210118_134935.jpg
    20210118_134935.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 619
  • 20210118_170801.jpg
    20210118_170801.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 586
  • 20210102_033607.jpg
    20210102_033607.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 20210118_171001.jpg
    20210118_171001.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 582
  • 20210118_171022.jpg
    20210118_171022.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 20210118_171054.jpg
    20210118_171054.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 575
  • 20210118_171143.jpg
    20210118_171143.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 576
  • 20210118_171203.jpg
    20210118_171203.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 20210118_171313.jpg
    20210118_171313.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 582
  • 20210118_174643.jpg
    20210118_174643.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
I guess you have to ask yourself.. When you went searching for it was your motivation for the reward or the thrill of the chase?

if it was a reward then flat out ask her.. I am sure you can think of a way to do it tactfully.

If all about the thrill of the chase.. just send it back, it is not much different than returning a class ring or something.. after all she told you what was missing and the general area..

whatever you do.. just be happy with your decision and move ahead.

btw, Very cool find !

I guess you have to ask yourself.. When you went searching for it was your motivation for the reward or the thrill of the chase?

if it was a reward then flat out ask her.. I am sure you can think of a way to do it tactfully.

If all about the thrill of the chase.. just send it back, it is not much different than returning a class ring or something.. after all she told you what was missing and the general area..

whatever you do.. just be happy with your decision and move ahead.

btw, Very cool find !

i must agree with u. well said i know i would give back always will.

I never will send anything back to anyone now without at least getting shipping cost. I don't mind searching but I refuse to be out money on top of it.

Just my 2¢

You are in a peculiar situation. Because if you spent "7 hrs." looking for it, and all she's saying is "she'll buy you lunch next time she's in that area", then .... Your pickle is you really can't ask for a reward, if nothing was spelled out ahead of time.

You might just have to do it for good Karma, unless she volunteers more.

You are in a peculiar situation. Because if you spent "7 hrs." looking for it, and all she's saying is "she'll buy you lunch next time she's in that area", then .... Your pickle is you really can't ask for a reward, if nothing was spelled out ahead of time.

You might just have to do it for good Karma, unless she volunteers more.

yes karma a bit h but it will all come back to me in long run

:dingding: Congrats on finding it! I once sent an ID that I found floating on the bottom and got a wonderful letter from special needs person that lost it with another letter from the young adult's mom explaining what it meant to her son. This is the original post to that: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=237819

I mention it because whatever you get, or don't get as a reward, it will never match the satisfaction of knowing the good deed that you have done.

I might send it to her and say, in regards to lunch, that i am hungry now, and live near a Cracker Barrel or Applebees (just name a chain near you) and if she would like to buy that lunch with a gift card it would be appreciated.

And remind her of how many hours you spent looking for it.

Give her a way to pay you, say paypal, and ask for shipping money plus whatever she thinks is fair. Some folks are more generous than others...

Here's what you do, mail it to her. Once it's in the mail, send her your venmo or paypal with the shipping confirmation #. Tell her how much shipping was, and tell her that a reward would be appreciated and that it goes toward upgrading your equipment. This makes it less about you being a money grinch, and more about you helping out the next person who loses their stuff. Its worked every time for me. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I think that if you have decided to return it, return it. Dont ask for a reward. Just say something like. "It took me 8 hours but it was worth it to make you happy". Then try to convince yourself that that is true. I would rather be upset with some old lady for not giving me a reward than disappointed with myself for making it about the money. Now I'm not saying that I would return it...but if I decided to then thats how I would do it.

Here's what you do, mail it to her. Once it's in the mail, send her your venmo or paypal with the shipping confirmation #. Tell her how much shipping was, and tell her that a reward would be appreciated and that it goes toward upgrading your equipment. This makes it less about you being a money grinch, and more about you helping out the next person who loses their stuff. Its worked every time for me. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

thx for info

This is why I don’t go seeking returns, money is tight for me and seven hours is a work day. If I’m there and they ask, I’ll look for as long as I think I want to and expect nothing and if someone contacts me for a search, I will negotiate a fair price prior to the hunt. I would do what others suggested and ask for shipping, you already spent several hours looking, gas, vehicle wear and tear, equipment cost, etc. you shouldn’t be on the hook for shipping cost as well. It’s even more fulfilling when you find a 3 carat diamond ring that an angry wife threw away, after hunting all day and get a 50 dollar reward for returning what is essentially a new car.

This is why I don’t go seeking returns, money is tight for me and seven hours is a work day. If I’m there and they ask, I’ll look for as long as I think I want to and expect nothing and if someone contacts me for a search, I will negotiate a fair price prior to the hunt. I would do what others suggested and ask for shipping, you already spent several hours looking, gas, vehicle wear and tear, equipment cost, etc. you shouldn’t be on the hook for shipping cost as well. It’s even more fulfilling when you find a 3 carat diamond ring that an angry wife threw away, after hunting all day and get a 50 dollar reward for returning what is essentially a new car.

This reminds me of a phone call I received (I was a MD dealer), years ago. Young bride had an argument with her husband, and she took off her wedding rings and threw them as far as she could. And left.
An hour later, she re-thinks this, and panics. She went back and looked and looked, but could not find. Somebody told her to et a metal detector. She called me, and wife and I said we'd give it a go, and does she remember roughly where she was when she threw them.

15 minutes later, I found one and my wife found the other. She asked what she could pay us, but we both said the price is that you remember this as a lesson, and :no: don't ever do it again!

Back
Top Bottom