Excited to hit Aruba

Yes, agree. But I also could picture being on some foreign beach, detecting, when police show up and inform they are confiscating the detector, due to breaking some obscure law or some such. That would sure spoil a vaca.

I would wonder if ANYONE here can cite any such incident of "confiscation", on any of the south-of-the-border beach destinations . Anyone have any links or any account of such a thing happening, for the locations we're talking about ?

There are scores of tourist beaches at various Caribbean, Mexico, S. American, etc.... And this question does (understandably) come up from time to time. And in each and every case, I've never seen or heard of any of them where anyone has ever come up with any prohibitions for beaches.

Like here in the USA, I'm sure that there's land stuff that's going to protect/forbid it at historic monuments, etc... Sure. But for the beaches, I don't recall any of them that any forumite has ever been able to find some sort of law or rule. If there is any of them that do so, I'd be curious to know.

Yes, agree. But I also could picture being on some foreign beach, detecting, when police show up and inform they are confiscating the detector, due to breaking some obscure law or some such. That would sure spoil a vaca.

I think if you were bailed up by foreign popo, your best course of action would be to just apologise and play the dumb tourist. sorry sir, I saw other people doing it etc. It's hard to imagine them coming down too hard when you aren't bothering anyone, just be discreet and avoid peak times. If anyone spproaches you be extra friendly.

Obviously look at the laws first to make sure there isn't explicate area's and laws such as around historic momuments in the UK or private land, but if there isn't just go for it.

Won't happen. Too many go there and detect. If I lost one I would have 11 back-up toys anyway.
1st time I went I didn't really know where to go. I was at the southern most hotel beach in front of all the cabana's. FAIL. After a few days of unplanned idiocracy I was prepping to return home. On the drive to the airport I saw several non-Arubians with Excals and wetsuits hitting Baby Beach. Apparently that's one of the hotter spots. The place gets hammered so as always, have high hopes but don't think you're gonna find 100 rings. At minimum, enjoy the scenery.

1st time I went I didn't really know where to go. I was at the southern most hotel beach in front of all the cabana's. FAIL. After a few days of unplanned idiocracy I was prepping to return home. On the drive to the airport I saw several non-Arubians with Excals and wetsuits hitting Baby Beach. Apparently that's one of the hotter spots. The place gets hammered so as always, have high hopes but don't think you're gonna find 100 rings. At minimum, enjoy the scenery.

Getting out of the cold where he lives and enjoying warm beaches and tropics climate this time of year should be treasure enough . Finding some rings and goodies would be icing on the cake. Then there should be a lot of good looking women running around there as well. May be he will find a mermaid in the waters there .

I will cheat like always. I am bringing my hookah and I will be renting tanks to go over waders heads. I don't expect to find much at all. Just going to have fun and clean up bottle tops

Scuba, Baby Beach was great when we were there 15 years ago. Beach wasn't great but scuba diving was the best. Great coral and fish. You should enjoy it.

Great ! Now I have The Beach Boys and “ Cocomo” in my head ...........and it won’t leave
I haven’t been to a beach in two years
And this from a guy practically raised on an island
This stuff has to end !!!

I would wonder if ANYONE here can cite any such incident of "confiscation", on any of the south-of-the-border beach destinations . Anyone have any links or any account of such a thing happening, for the locations we're talking about ?

There are scores of tourist beaches at various Caribbean, Mexico, S. American, etc.... And this question does (understandably) come up from time to time. And in each and every case, I've never seen or heard of any of them where anyone has ever come up with any prohibitions for beaches.

Like here in the USA, I'm sure that there's land stuff that's going to protect/forbid it at historic monuments, etc... Sure. But for the beaches, I don't recall any of them that any forumite has ever been able to find some sort of law or rule. If there is any of them that do so, I'd be curious to know.

I was fortunate to live on the island of Aruba from 2009 - 2015. All beaches are considered public lands, including the dry sands beneath the palapas at all the resorts and hotels ( would hit these areas early, before being occupied). The only place you would get a run around is on Renaissance Island, which is privately owned and operated by the hotel, who control the tenders transporting folks back and forth. I spent about 20 hours a week detecting and had no problems ever! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom