diy lower shaft locking mechanism

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
I've almost finished my homemade excal shaft, but I've run into a lack of options for a lower shaft lock.
I don't want to just glue it into place as I like to adjust the length of my swing and also for traveling. I would have thought there will be some sort of pressure fitting I could use from the hardware store but I'm coming up empty.
Ideas?

Attachments

• LOCK.jpg
    LOCK.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 362
why even use a lock? drill 2 holes through the lower and mid section shaft. Use 2 nylon bolts and keep it in place. Less drag in the water too.

Pool supply places ell those little clips that snap out through the holes in the shaft, cheap solution but it might be a bit wobbly. Other than that, like Steve said, drill two sets of holes and use two plastic bolts and nuts to hold the shaft together...

plugger doesn't post to Australia unfortunately.
The 2 bolt holes would be my last choice as it limits my adjustment options

Pulling bolts in and out while I'm in the water is a pain.

I've found a solution. I cut 2x 1mm slots about 20mm down the side of the end of the tube where the lower shaft goes in. Then I got a plastic mount from an old push bike that mounts the rear reflector to the seat post, switched out the bolt that tightens it with a gopro bolt so it's tooless to tighten. Presto, 15 minute clamp that holds the lower shaft in place at any length.

Pulling bolts in and out while I'm in the water is a pain.

I've found a solution. I cut 2x 1mm slots about 20mm down the side of the end of the tube where the lower shaft goes in. Then I got a plastic mount from an old push bike that mounts the rear reflector to the seat post, switched out the bolt that tightens it with a gopro bolt so it's tooless to tighten. Presto, 15 minute clamp that holds the lower shaft in place at any length.

I've made my own shafts for years.. some might remember the skinny shaft. :D . What is tight, snug, and not slipping on the wetsand is a different story once it gets wet and there is resistance from the water. Good luck with whatever you end up going with. If possible post a photo if it works.

Ok, so I've had a chance to use it in anger a bit and it's a success!.

video below, you can see my $76aud excal shaft in action.

https://youtu.be/yputecRO4yU

I used a 2nd hand pair of bike bar ends for the handle, the carbon fibre I got off amazon 22mm outer 20mm inner, reused the lower shaft and padded handle.
The locking mech like I said is done by cutting a split in the carbon shaft, then tightening up the collar with some bit I had laying around.

This hunt went for 3 hours today. The ring is atleast 18k, the 22k test took about 10 minutes to eat the sample on the stone so I dunno, maybe it's higher than 18k? it's a tiny ring for 5 grams.

Back
Top Bottom