Waders

Mr. Dave

I am curious if you wear Waders, what company did you go with? I dont want to spend a fortune but I do want a decent pair for the beach. Having said that I am more of a weekend warrior, unless im on vacation which isnt very often (I actually am right now LOL) I wear boots currently they come up to my calves and I occasionally get the one rogue wave (usually at least once a trip) that comes up and splashes over my boot making the rest of the day not so pleasant. I have thought about getting just the hip waders but that would leave a part of my leg and rear end exposed...i dont want to look like I wet my pants LOL. Honestly if I had a pair of wader pants with boots attached that would be fine most likely. I understand the concerns with waders and getting filled up but I wont go out more than above my knees. So any recommendations and prices on some decent wont break the bank waders? Thanks Happy Christmas and Merry New Years.

Neoprene waders hug your body pretty tight and keep you warm.
You might also consider a farmer john wetsuit or just wetsuit bottoms.

Neoprene waders are great if the don't leak and most do leak sooner rather than later... I go with trout stream waders of quality like from Orvis... yeah they are not cheap but I have had mine almost 10 years now... my friend bought expensive neoprene waders they were leaking by the end of the season...

If I need to keep warm I will wear insulated ski pants or something similar under the waders depending on water temp that gets into 30's here during the winter months and I feel no cold...

I always have used a bootfoot wader. Right nowI have a pair of Lacross bootfoot waders I bought 10 years ago, still running strong. Used for surf fishing, now beach metal detecting. I only use stocking foot waders for trout fishing. I use Simms, LL bean. But I have a pair of Simm's neopren waders I bought 25 years ago, I wore them twice during a very cold trout outing, and they still made me sweat. Find a pair of bootfoot in your price range. But you get what you pay for in waders.

Buy some aquaseal for those leaks. Most are easy fixes, (over night dry) unless it is the boots or booties, may as well chuck them if you get leaks there.

I buy a new 8oz tube of aquaseal every year just to be ready for the leaks...one of my drysuits I sealed all of the seams.. worked perfect, going on two years now. Waders are no different, always leak right where every thing is bonded.

Attachments

• 2020.jpg
    2020.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 383
During cold weather I use hip waders and hunt the wet sand during low tide. This really works great because you can detect the beach cuts and deep holes without getting your feet wet. Hip Waders also allow more freedom of movement and keep you from getting overheated. I really don't go out into the tide much, never knee deep. I've only used chest high waders in fresh water so I don't have any experience with waves and breakers. H Digs!

Thank You all for your input, definantly gives me something to think about and look into. Thank You again.

I'm all about waders if I'm duck hunting or otherwise engaged in a swamp/slough/muck activity but on the beach it sure sounds like a pain. A pair of dive boots and neoprene bottoms and board shorts or a farmer john is so much more comfortable. For me, anyhow. Same for surf fishing.

Edit. I definitely get wet though. Sometimes soaking wet if the surf is pounding and I get hit by a sneaker or two:) like a wet rat.

Last edited:
Cold weather

I'm all about waders if I'm duck hunting or otherwise engaged in a swamp/slough/muck activity but on the beach it sure sounds like a pain. A pair of dive boots and neoprene bottoms and board shorts or a farmer john is so much more comfortable. For me, anyhow. Same for surf fishing.

Edit. I definitely get wet though. Sometimes soaking wet if the surf is pounding and I get hit by a sneaker or two:) like a wet rat.
I think the op was talking about waders for cold weather beach hunting. I'm like you, warm beach weather , I'm in water shoe's or even bare foot. I'm gettig a pair of dive boots now.

I use neoprene from cabellas . Had them for 3 winters , no leaks except the boots, little cracks but aquaseal does the job and I have done the seams as well. To be honest I'll prob get a new pair after this winter and might try another company.

I had a pair of neoprene also from Cabela's. The boots developed a crack and leaked within the first year. I returned them and got a new pair of neoprene but a different design and paid up for a better set of waders. Now these are leaking (pinhole size) somewhere on the crotch. I do like them so I bought some sealer to fix over the weekend.

Mako Speargun Wetsuit

I use Mako Speargun wetsuit. Depending on the temp you will be working in would determine the thickness needed. For safety in the water, a wetsuit of 5mm will make you float. 5mm will also keep you warm in water down to around 55 degrees. I dive with a 7mm wetsuit in 40 degree water and feel perfectly comfortable. The Mako Speargun wetsuits are an excellent value and rugged. They are open cell wetsuits so you must apply lube to yourself and the inside of the suit to slide into it. Or they have a closed cell wetsuit that is 3mm which does not require lube do to the internal liner. Don't forget boots and gloves of the same thickness. And they are reef camo or blue water camo and you'll look cool:cool3:

I have tried my last attempt at stopping the leak in my Cabellas boot. Good sized split right on my outside ankle(most flexed area). I got a suggestion to use a bike inner tube patch-what I did was cut a piece of inner tube to cove, loaded it with aquaseal, let it dry and coated the whole area with more aquaseal esp the edges. If that doesn't get me thru the winter I'll be shopping for a new pair somewhere. BTW I had covered all the seams previously with aquaseal and that has held up very well. Will post an update when I get them wet next

If the water is cold...like now, I use my Scuba Dry Suit. I am pretty warm with my thermals and layers inside the dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom