Permission just keeps getting better

Mottz

Forum Supporter
Last weekend I went up to a friends house in a real small town (maybe 100 people)to detect his yard. This town was a boom town in the early 1900's. All I found at my friends was junk. Not 1 coin. But he has a neighbor, Ken, who lives in the old bank. He's 83, lived in this town since he was 10, and is a huge military collector. And since I found a US pin last year that I couldn't identify, I thought what a way to break the ice. I ended up getting permission to do an empty lot across the street. It once had the town grocery store. All I found was junk except for 1 piece. It was a bent up token with the town name on it. He was super excited, offered me $50 for it and I refused that. I just asked for permission to do around his yard instead. Now I have open permission for all his land plus he wouldn't let me leave without giving me $25 for it. I'm always willing to give someone a keepsake like that! Fast forward to tonight, my friend just sent me a text that Ken really wants to get a hold of me because he did research on the token and it is more rare than what he 1st thought. So in hopes of me finding another in better condition, he is on a mission of getting me permission on all the neighbors properties. Never in my dreams would I have thought I would end up being able to detect a whole town:wow:

I spent over 5 hours in this town on Sunday, and I think I may have only detected for about an hour and a half. The rest of the time was talking and listening to him tell stories. That was well worth it though because I like hearing old timers stories!

This is not playing out like I thought it would. A lot of junk and a couple pennies. Well, and that token. And he gave me a little update on the token. He straightened it out so I could get pics and he showed me a print out of what one of those tokens sold for on ebay. $511!! I should've kept it:lol: It made his day and I got more detecting opportunity so I hope it all works out.
7F27DFC6-63AD-49A1-8159-E51D780E7284_zpsas5tc1cq.jpg

1A25F462-7096-4611-9DE8-57E54CD2164B_zpsz0nvgqe2.jpg

Keep at it. There's bound to be some great finds out there. The token is very neat!

That token is awesome! Even the way it got bent is interesting...looks like a machine got it.
Great find!

Chris

That pic is of it bent back to close as flat as he wanted. It was nearly bent in half when I found it. All I could read was Hansen.

Those permissions WILL pay off, with a nice seated half...or ?

I'm sure the one that sold for 500 probably wasn't damaged. A detector with no place to use it has NO VALUE, you did the right thing, and you will be rewarded. I often give something to the owners, and I don't think from reading all the "door knocking" posts, and the silvers people find you nearly never hear of anything being offered back in return.

I just hope the town isn't too long of a drive.

Don't second guess your decision to give that influential old man that token, I am sure you will be rewarded for it.

That's funny how you get an hour and a half of dig time and 3 1/2 of storytime. I guess I'm not the only one who ends up in situations like that. :)

That's funny how you get an hour and a half of dig time and 3 1/2 of storytime. I guess I'm not the only one who ends up in situations like that. :)

It has been that way every time that I have been going there.:lol: I do have to say though, that I do enjoy listening to stories of the past. That's odd because I don't ever remember listening to my history teacher in school when he was talking about the past:laughing: I may have to give this area a rest for a little while. The finds have not been good. Frustration is definitely setting in. So unless I can get someone's yard, and not an empty field, then I may try that.

Just beyond my backyard is a Civil War battlefield/state historic site. Since the actual park is strictly off limits, over the years I've befriended an old man who lives on his own and owns over 100 acres adjacent to the park in order to hunt the surrounding area. He has many little spots on the outskirts of his property where I can park my vehicle and he'd be fine with me hunting but because he likes to know when I'm there I always park in front of his residence. The problem is that as soon as I park in front of his residence, he's out to greet me and a minimum 1/2 hour conversation (and sometimes an hour or more) occurs on his front porch before I get one swing of the coil. :) Like you though I do like to hear the old stories of the area plus I think he's just happy to have someone to talk to. Sometimes we end of chatting for the same amount of time after I get back to my car. Bottom line is that I'm just happy to have access to a place like that.

Back
Top Bottom