Where to buy coins, gold coins?

Fooleeze

Hey all, I need some advice from those of you who may have experience with coins, particularly gold coins. Here's my story:

So every year since my son was born, I like to go to a nice coin/jewelry shop near by and purchase a 1/10 oz gold eagle coin in the current year. So this year I am going to look for a 2019 1/10 oz gold eagle. So I look online for my favorite coin shop's hours to make my annual pilgrimage, and much to my dismay, I find out that since my last trip they have shut down store operations. NOOOO!!!!!

Well, I still want to find out how I can purchase this annual coin for my son. But minus my trustworthy dealer, I'm not sure where to go!

So for those of you with experience buying coins and gold coins, where would you recommend I shop? Find another local dealer? Is there an online shop you are comfortable with? I'm just looking for a trustworthy dealer with fair prices.

Thanks for your help!

Todd

I have only purchased one Gold coin, A $5 coin from Provident out of Texas. While I am very pleased with my coin I would not recommend Provident to purchase from. My experience was bad to say the least. First they withheld shipment on a Bank Check for 5 days after it cleared my Bank. Then when it was shipped it was lost within the post office. When the coin did not arrive per tracking I contacted Provident by phone, was put on hold and after 15 minutes was hung up on. I then proceeded to send a E-mail. Two more days went by and again tried calling and again I was put on hold and hung up on. At that time I contacted the local post office in Texas to locate the package. Was to it was shipped back to the main office as the package had been red tagged, (Was not given a reason). I was given the main office phone number and called there. I was told it was rerouted and again shipped. Another day passed and I seen in the tracking the package went back to the local post office again. At this time I again called Provident and for the 3rd time was put on hold and again hung up on. I then called the local post office explained the situation and they sent the package my way.Another two days I received my coin. I again e-mailed provident asking for explanation. On the next day I received a blow off email that did not justify their lack of courtesy or reaction. I again e-mail them and am still waiting for a reply after almost five months. I have since researched other dealers and this one came back with the best rating. Trapper https://www.jmbullion.com/gold/pre-1933-us-gold-coins/

I’ve used Provident for almost eight years and not a single issue yet.
They usually beat everyone else’s prices. I have nothing but good to say about them.

jmbullion
apmex
sdbullion
mcm

All of these will hold your funds until they clear. This is not the type of coin worth shopping all over for imo. The margins on this stuff is so tight that most places will be within a buck or two of each other. Keep in mind that most of the big bullion houses send these coins off to be graded, then sell the grading rejects as raw coins so that's what you should expect. Personally I will not do business with provident b/c of some BS they pulled a few years back with their "zombucks" series.

If you ever need anything non-bullion related, feel free to send me a PM. If I don't have it, I can get it.

jmbullion
apmex
sdbullion
mcm

All of these will hold your funds until they clear. This is not the type of coin worth shopping all over for imo. The margins on this stuff is so tight that most places will be within a buck or two of each other. Keep in mind that most of the big bullion houses send these coins off to be graded, then sell the grading rejects as raw coins so that's what you should expect. Personally I will not do business with provident b/c of some BS they pulled a few years back with their "zombucks" series.

If you ever need anything non-bullion related, feel free to send me a PM. If I don't have it, I can get it.
What BS? I purchased the entire series in copper, and silver and proof. Never an issue. They always beat everyone’s price in bullion and are the best vendor out there. Sorry about your experience.

What BS? I purchased the entire series in copper, and silver and proof. Never an issue. They always beat everyone’s price in bullion and are the best vendor out there. Sorry about your experience.

They were all supposed to be a limited mintage for a limited time with the designs being retired after each run. Then they decided to go back on that for the sake of profits and started making proofs. They lost a lot of collectors and dealers with that move. You may like them and have a great experience. I won’t deal with them. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coins at coin shows

We have a coupple of large coin shows here every year with 100-150 dealers from all over the country,with that many sellers you can usally get some real good deals. You can also see the coins you are buying at that time. You might even find a new seller near you that you like and trust.

They were all supposed to be a limited mintage for a limited time with the designs being retired after each run. Then they decided to go back on that for the sake of profits and started making proofs. They lost a lot of collectors and dealers with that move. You may like them and have a great experience. I won’t deal with them. To each their own.

I understand what you’re saying, although a regular business strike is not a proof. They each have their own run, just like regular coins.

I understand what you’re saying, although a regular business strike is not a proof. They each have their own run, just like regular coins.

I’m a coin dealer FYI.

APMEX, but if you have access look for one of their promotions in the back of the AARP magazine. Last year I purchased ten 1/10 ounce Eagles for spot, and got a free ounce of silver in addition.

Back
Top Bottom